Windows 7 problems booting from Windows 7 64-bit installation disc

happysister

hello all. question for you. my computer has Windows XP 32-bit, and i'm trying to do a clean install to Windows 7 64-bit. this is my processor. i'm assuming it can take the 64-bit version.

i boot from the disc, press any key, and all the files load and whatnot. i see a screen that says "starting windows", and the logo appears. i figure that's a good sign. but...after that, i get stuck on a screen with nothing but some "desktop wallpaper" and my mouse. it just sits there. i can move my mouse around, but no installation options pop up.

i bought the upgrade version of Windows 7, and i'm under the impression that you should be able to do a clean install using those discs. i stuck the 32-bit disc in my drive, and the install menu showed up no problem. but i want to install the 64-bit version. >_<

i'm unsure of how to go about this. do any of you have any advice?

You are correct about being able to install an x64 version. But one of the things about the x64 version is it is more particular about the device drivers.

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor first?

What type of video setup do you have?

thanks, i'll check that out tomorrow when i mess with it again.

You are correct about being able to install an x64 version. But one of the things about the x64 version is it is more particular about the device drivers.

Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor first?

What type of video setup do you have?
i did run the Upgrade Advisor. the only thing it flagged as far as hardware was concerned was hard disk space on my C: drive. a clean install should clear that up though, right? my video card is a GeForce GTX 460 v2. says it's Windows 7 compatible.

sorry for double posting, but i'm curious if this workaround would work...

seeing how the 32-bit installation disc works perfectly fine, would i be able to do a clean install of that, then turn around and do a clean install of the 64-bit version without having to boot from the disc?

No, the x64 install will not run from a 32 bit install.

If the problem is the space available on the hard drive, what type of space are we talking about. Can you remove data from the partition?

No, the x64 install will not run from a 32 bit install.

If the problem is the space available on the hard drive, what type of space are we talking about. Can you remove data from the partition?

i can, but i don't know if that's the problem. when i try to boot from the installation disc, the installation doesn't run. all i get is a screen with a pretty background. no window with installation options pops up at all.

You say you bought the install DVD, so it should be good, but it seems to be having a problem before the install really starts.

There are images of the OS you can download and burn, but they will not be update versions, and if the prior OS is not on your Hard drive when you start the install, the Update will not activate normally.

Your processor is supposed to be x64 capable, your DVD drive should be able to read an x64 as well as an x86 version. How much memory do you have?

i have 4 GB of RAM, and my current OS is on the hard drive. i know i get an error when i stick the 64-bit disc in while in Windows XP...

"This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (Advanced)."

though i thought all that was telling me was that i need to boot from the disc in order to clean install Windows 7.

Not sure if there is any confusion, but if you boot to the DVD, it does not make any difference what OS is installed on the Hard Drive. It could be Linux (just an example), but the custom install will format the partition and install Windows 7. But you cannot start a x64 utility from within a 32 bit OS.

And you cannot upgrade from XP to Windows 7 even if you use the same bit version.

that's what i though. i was trying to do a clean install anyways. silly disc just won't work right. >_< you mentioned i could get an ISO of the OS and burn it to a disc. would i be able to use the product registration key i got with the upgrade discs to register it, or would that not work?

Can't you get Microsoft to replace the disk, if it's faulty? Normally, they will. You should be able to boot from the disk.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom