Windows 7 Problems joining a domain with Win 7 to Win SBS 2003

OCEasy

:(The Following error occured while attempting to join the Domain

"An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."

I upgraded from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate where this computer was already connected to the domain.
I say upgraded but actually did a clean install.
I checked the Computer and User accounts on the server and everything seems correct.
I made sure both objects were in the same OU.
I tried manually and used the wizard. Same error.
Is there something inherently wrong with Win 7 joining domains?
I've joined domains a thousand times, no problem.

Does anyone know why this is happening or is it some bad karma on my part?

Nope, nothing inherently wrong, or different. You may very well have to resort to removing the computer account from the domain and then try rejoining. But first check the value of the DNS setting in the properties of IPv4 in the Properties of the Win 7 NIC. Make sure it's pointed at and only at your domain DNS server, probably the 2k3 SBS server. If you, after your clean install of Win7, named the machine the same, then that may very well be the issue, and removing the computer account from the domain may resolve it.

Hey dont be concerned with sounding abrupt. I'm a Marine and a New Yorker. I appreciate your time. I've gone from "hands on" to IT Project Management and now back to Sys Admin duties so I'm a little rusty.
When you check the value of the DNS setting in the properties of IPv4 in the Properties of the Win 7 NIC, that's when you have a assigned a static IP to this machine right?
If I do delete the computer account should I create another with the same properties or create a different one?

Actually you can set the DNS entries seperate and statically, while leaving the IPv4, ip address, subnet mask and default gateway to automatic. Just type ncpa.cpl in the search box or the run dialog box and hit enter and in the resultant window right click on the adapter you want to change and select properties, in the resultant window, I suggest unchecking IPv6 and select IPv4 and hit the properties button, you can leave the top frame alone and set to obtain auto and then in the bottom frame choose the radio button that says "Use the following DNS server addresses:" put the domain DNS resolver's IP address there in preferred and leave the other blank and OK you way out of there. As far as creating another computer account in the domain, the act of joining the computer to the domain, once you have entered the appropriate credential, will automatically create a new computer account

Back
Top Bottom