Windows 10 Problems with folders

TerryLP

I have been unable to make Windows 10 work properly with folders. First of all it will not create new folders. Clicking on the create new folder does nothing. When I right click on the screen I get no "New" option. The only way that I have been able to create a new folder is to copy an existing folder, empty it, and then rename it.

My second problem is I cannot double click on a folder to open it. The only way that I have been able to open a folder is to right click on it and then click on the "Open" option.

Any help would will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Open Regedit and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New
is the (Default) setting set to {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} ?

Thank you for your response. I did as you directed. It said "No Value Set". I entered the value that you gave me, rebooted the computer, and tried to open a file. I still get the same error message. I attached a screen capture of the error message just in case that might be of any assistance.

I forgot to mention, it did help though. I can make new files. So that is great progress. The only thing that I am unable to do is open an existing file by double clicking on it. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_2016.02.07_13h36m26s_001_.png
    Ashampoo_Snap_2016.02.07_13h36m26s_001_.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
While type of files can't you open. Different extensions will have different shell registry keys associated with them

Normally I keep everything that I do on separate drives from my C: drive(System Drive). Those are my F: and G: drives. I simply create a file folder and name it according to what type of information that I put in it. I do not see any extensions associated with them. Under the column for type is simply "File Folder"

Terry, the fix I gave you would have only fixed the right click, New Folder function in explorer.

Are you saying you cannot open folders, or any type of file? Try to be specific..

Josephur, Thank you, the information that you gave me did fix the part of the problem of not being able to create new folders. The issue that still exist is that I cannot open any folders by double clicking on them. The only way that they will open is for me to right-click on them and select "open" from the menu that appears.

What is the Default value of the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell set to?

Terry can you create a procmon log, zip it and upload it here. You can download procmon here: Process Monitor What you want to do
  • Launch Procmon and apply the default filter
  • Click a folder like you are trying to open it and as soon as you get the error
  • Click on procmon and press ctrl + e to stop the capture
  • Right click on an Explorer.exe event and select Include Explorer.exe
  • Click File > save and make sure "Events displayed using current filter" is selected and PML format is fine
  • Zip the log file since it will be 20MB+ and zipping it should bring it down to 1-2MB
  • Upload that here

It would also probably help if you could export into a text file the following keys (some of them may not exist)
  • HKCR\Directory
  • HKCR\Folder
  • HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory
  • HKCU\Software\Classes\Folder

Hi Neemobeer, I found the HKCR folder, but it did not have a "\Directory" or a "\Folder" under it. The HKCU did not come up at all. Thanks for the information in your first response. If all else fails I may have to go that way.

Hi Neemobeer, sorry about that. My knowledge is very limited and I am trying my best to keep up. I was not sure how to do the text files that you asked for but I did do some screen grabs. I hope that they are sufficient. The HKCU Classes Folder I was not able to locate.
HKCR Dir.png
HKCR Folder.png
HKCU Classes Dir.png

In regedit, right click on each folder I mentioned and export them to .reg files and upload them here.

Well I think I have what you are asking for. Thank you for your help and patience.

Attachments

• HKCRDirectory.pdf
    34.5 KB · Views: 633
  • HKCRFolder.pdf
    39 KB · Views: 492
  • HKCUSoftwareclassesdirectory.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 340
Well those all look fairly normal. can you export this key too. Hkey_Classes_Root\CLSID\{11dbb47c‐a525‐400b‐9e80‐a54615a090c0}

Back