Windows 7 Problems with i7 core on Windows 64-bit ???

Rogerthat

Hi Win 7 users.

Questions please; not sure if this has been asked in a previous life....

Is there a problem with the Windows 7 software and the i7 chip?

Does it make it work too hard and overheat?

I ask because I have a Tosh i7 A660 Satellite with Ultimate Windows 7 and Office 2007 32-bit (English) on a Japanese laptop. Live in Japan.

The only other software now is Google chrome (updated) and Norton 2011 (Updated)

Four months old and already had a new hard-drive on warranty.

Had to pull the power and battery out as frozen solid and Ctrl, Alt, Del doesnt work.

The laptop freezes up randomly during surfing interweb or in media player or anything really.

It usually happens ten times or so in a row; so I shut it off and later it works again.

Ran a thread here recently
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/72485-random-persistent-freezing-windows-7-64-bit-new-i7-toshiba-laptop.html

B
ut thought this hardware forum might be useful to track down any options.

Many thanks if any good ideas emerge.

Hammer suggestions notwithstanding.

I do not know about laptops, and I7, I have a I7 920 D0 chip on an ASUS P6tV2 deluxe board and have been running W7 64 bit since the days of RC1 with no problems, I really doudt it is the chip. I would personally would uninstall Norton and install Micro$oft Security Essentials as my AV Link Removed due to 404 Error

I do not know about laptops, and I7, I have a I7 920 D0 chip on an ASUS P6tV2 deluxe board and have been running W7 64 bit since the days of RC1 with no problems, I really doudt it is the chip. I would personally would uninstall Norton and install Micro$oft Security Essentials as my AV Link Removed due to 404 Error
Thanks for that; someone else said almost exactly what you point out about Norton.

Problem is Norton forum mods tell me otherwise. Win 7 and Norton 2011 no problemo.

Befuddled.

Problem is Norton forum mods tell me otherwise. Win 7 and Norton 2011 no problemo.
Of coarse they would on Norton Forum as I'm sure they were promoting their software. I have heard good things about Norton 2011 but it's hard to rinse the bad taste out of my mouth from the past Norton products.

To answer your question though, I'm like Super Sarge as I have a desktop running Windows 7 on a i7 Core 2600k without issues.

If you are not running anything that would jump your CPU usage to 100%, heat issues should not be a concern. What are the CPU usage statistics when you encounter the heat issues? Does your Notebook have good ventilation through all air ports?

I dumped Norton 2009 before the expiration date. It was crap and frequently required repair after it updated definitions. I didn't get any useful help from them either.
Joe

Befuddled.
:D :D That's like a subtle flash advert! Thank you!
You can usually here the virtual moans crossing the t'interweb of people involved in BSOD analysis when they see Symantec, PCTools or AVG installed on Win7 systems.

Thanks for the above posts. Sitting on the sofa can block the fan ventilation slightly; but heat lets you know if or when!!:monkey2:

Anyway It looks like Norton free upgrade fixed it for me.:excitement:

Norton saw this thread on my post there and updated me to Norton 2012 :cool:and indicate there is a slight freeze error with Windows 7 and Norton 2011.

I hope this fixes things as I had to pull the battery a couple of times this morning already.

I did have ancient problems with Norton in the past; but they are getting better; they have had to. Competition?

Updated and running.:razz:

No freeze yet.

Norton saw this thread on my post there and updated me to Norton 2012 :cool:and indicate there is a slight freeze error with Windows 7 and Norton 2011.
Slight? :D :D And is "a slight freeze error" a new sales pontification for crash/bsod?

No blue screen (of death). Just ICED Windows. Like a printscreen. Nothing but locked up baby. Mouse clicks nothing but thin air. Comatose.

Put my ear to the underside of the laptop and could still hear number-crunching though.

That was then...

Till what looks like the Norton 2012 fix a couple of hours ago. No problems since. Cross-fingerz.

Back