Windows 7 Problems with IM Remote Assistance Request (Win 7, 64 bit Ultimate)

cherrio

Extraordinary Member
I have two PCs - one with Win 7, Pro 32 bit and the other Win 7, Ultimate 64 bit. On the 32 bit machine I can easly provide Remote Assistance to others via a request coming in from Windows Live Messenger (ver 2009 - build 14.0.8089.726), but on the 64 bit machine I can 'accept' the incoming request and the person on the other end sees that I have accepted, but then nothing happens.

I have checked my firewall and Remote Assistance is allowed [This feature allows users of this computer to request remote assistance from other users on the network. (Uses UPnP, SSDP, PNRP and Teredo)] I turned off Antivirus to see if that was blocking the outbound connection, but no help (on the 32 bit machine I have AVAST 4.8 home version and on the 64 bit machine 5.0.418).

Any ideas? There are seven such items listed for 'Outbound Rules' under 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' - some for private and some for public network. This is a desktop and I am not on a public network.

The remote assistance works find on the Professional 32 bit PC (much simpler on network settings).

I have two PCs - one with Win 7, Pro 32 bit and the other Win 7, Ultimate 64 bit. On the 32 bit machine I can easly provide Remote Assistance to others via a request coming in from Windows Live Messenger (ver 2009 - build 14.0.8089.726), but on the 64 bit machine I can 'accept' the incoming request and the person on the other end sees that I have accepted, but then nothing happens.

I have checked my firewall and Remote Assistance is allowed [This feature allows users of this computer to request remote assistance from other users on the network. (Uses UPnP, SSDP, PNRP and Teredo)] I turned off Antivirus to see if that was blocking the outbound connection, but no help (on the 32 bit machine I have AVAST 4.8 home version and on the 64 bit machine 5.0.418).

Any ideas? There are seven such items listed for 'Outbound Rules' under 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' - some for private and some for public network. This is a desktop and I am not on a public network.

The remote assistance works find on the Professional 32 bit PC (much simpler on network settings).

I forgot to mention that when a Win XP person requested, I could not get a connection. When a Vista person requested asssistance, her PC made her create a password which came to my Win 7 PC and then I had to enter that password. When receiving the request from the Win XP user there was no mention of entering password, and she was not prompted to enter one.

Is it possible that Win 7 will only accept Remote Assistance requests from other Win 7 users?

Back
Top Bottom