Windows 8 Problems with new Windows 8 Box and Installation

davy

Good Morning and hello to all,

I have recently purchased an Asus with the following specs:
Windows 8 x64 build 9200 Asus X102BA 1.0
SER and cHASSIS :DANocx509191425 Boot Mode UEFI with successful Secure Boot
Windows 8 (x64) (build 9200)
Install Language: English (United Kingdom)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
Installed: 10/10/2014 02:18:46
Boot Mode: UEFI
tHER E IS NOTHING INSTALLED BUT MAINLINE SOFTWARE WITH GOOD REPUTATION
PROTECTED BY avast
My problem is that as a new user of Win 8 I am feeling a bit disappointed with the performance. I assumed with 4 gb ram and a 500hd it would be reasonably quick, far from the truth, keystrokes are such that tea could be made while the characters registered and crashes are common with freezes also Remedies I have tried have been 2 resets and numerous viral scans, trimming down startup items, and lots of software tune progs. Although not a genius where windows are concerned I have a good general knowledge. Truth is I dont see the logic behind 8. I have installed a start button and attempt to operate through the desktop but the problems persist with crashes and freezes so getting to the end of tether. Not withstanding the machine may not be the best but based on my windows xp vista and 7 experiences I dont understand the need for resourses this machine needs.
My idea is, can I downgrade to windows 7? and if so do you think that it would run smoother and quicker. My software is home standard so do not qua;ify for auto downgrade. My idea is to install 7 on a partition so as to not lose 8 entirely. I would appreciate all advice.
I have an oem win 7 disc no longer used on a dell but will happily buy a 7 installation.
If you can give advice could I ask for detailed instructions as I want to do this properly. All advice would be gratefully received and \i would be honored to hear from you although please keep it on topic and no politics and criticisms please. I bought what I bought and need to get the best from it as am pensioner and not much spare cash. Many many thanks to all. Any extra info will be happy to provide

1.This is a useable alternative to a tablet machine like a Google Nexus 10 or an iPad Air... it is NOT a gaming machine or full laptop.
2. Windows 7 will install but there will be issues getting drivers and no increase in performance... I wouldn't do it.
3. This is a touchscreen and imo installing a 3rd party start button was a very bad idea.

I sugest you need to be clear about what you want this machine to do... this is only a budget for email and homework so it just doesn't have the cpu power and forget about gaming of any kind. in any event I would remove any non-windows tune software (almost always more trouble than they are worth) and keep only the Avast antivirus.

You could, also go Linux (Ubuntu or Mint) for performance if Windows doesn't frill you...

Davy,

I am familiar w/ that machine. I am a big fan of ASUS machines, always THE laptop brand I recommend to clients, ASUS & MS Surface Pros. However, that said, I will be brutally candid...

4Gb RAM is good. Hard drive size doesn't really impact on basic performance. But, that model is a budget unit & its processor, CPU, is the biggest (negative) factor, it is not very robust. That particular model is known to be slow.

I do not recommend the following:
Going to Win7.
Any 3rd Party start things!
Any tuners, fixers or the like. Take all those nefarious 3rd Party tools & utilities out of the machine. *

Avast is good BUT, remove it & use the built-in security, Windows Defender.

Besides using WD, install the following and nothing else *:

CCleaner Only use the Cleaner part. Don't mess w/ the Registry w/ anything.
Malwarebytes ( the FREE version )

Run Disc Clean-up

This unit will never be "fast". But, it can be a quick as possible by clearing all the junk out, checking for any malware, adding/installing nothing unnecessary and giving it some TLC by doing regular daily maintenance.

Let me know if I need to go into any greater detail on any aspect of the above. Good luck. IF you do this stuff ^, it should be, @ least, somewhat better.

Enabling the Desktop Toolbar is something you would like.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Last edited:
IME The only thing I can add is avoid shutdown when not needed... this system boots from sleep mode well and MOST the time that is what you should use.

Thank you all, Its a bit disappointing but honest and I appreciate it.
Can anyone see any advantage going down to Linux/ Ubuntu road. Details would be appreciated and could anyone see any speed /response time benefits. However I would need some instructions and perhaps the benefit of a partition boot or clean install.
Many, many thanks

Davy,

1st, those OSs are sure not for the feint of heart, if you get my drift. Plus the slowness is rooted in the hardware not, the OS or any particular OS. I was going to provide you some links to articles & reviews. But, to sum up, it is just the nature of the model due to its slow processor. Changing OSs is not going to change the hardware caused slowness. It is basically a budget version of a T-100 Transformer & the processor is what makes it a low price point. Do the stuff I advised and it will, still, only be as quick as it can be. Sorry. Changing the OS won't change anything or cure the speed issue.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
This is a perfect example of buyer beware however you have all been so helpful and for that I am so grateful. /if I may impose a little further could anyone recommend a small powerful machine with a lid which will run say open office, 6 browser windows, an e reader and any other semi lumpy software without giving up the ghost. i don't mind second hand and anyway after selling this i will need to. Thanks again all, you have been great and i appreciate it

I personally use an Asus sonicmaster laptop with an i3 chip and extra 4g ram (8g total) that a client sold to me for $500, 12 months ago and does everything I’ve asked of it without issues… hyper-v servers, vmware workstations, adobe muse (website design), general photo | video and sound editing and games of course.

Before that I owned an E-machine (E642) that’s coming up on 3 years old running windows 7 and probably a better first computer for someone like you because it has solid design… yes it still goes well and my daughter loves it.

For real gaming or when portability isn’t needed the desktop is still the best way to go.

Sorry but I don’t know what country you live in but as a general rule; disbelieve everything a sales person tells you and look at what other people use and then ask the saleperson if they have that model… end of year, student or last year’s model sales are always worth looking in to as well.

ASUS X200MA

8021625l.jpg

The ASUS X200MA laptop is powered by an Intel processor for smooth responsive computing to give you a device that is geared for everyday tasks or multimedia entertainment. In addition, the ASUS X200MA features USB3.0 for smartphone-like responses and high speed data transfers respectively.
Features
  • Intel® Pentium® N3520 Processor
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500GB Hard drive
  • 11.6" Screen
  • Windows 8

Ok, it may seem surprising I am showing you an ASUS but... I did tell you I, really, have a lot of enthusiasm for ASUS. They are excellent machines. (you had/have their "budget model" w/ a processor I've never liked). I highly recommend ASUS computers. They are sturdy, well made, have terrific warranties, even Damage Coverage for the 1st year and great after-sale customer service. They are THE brand I recommend to my clients (Also, Microsoft Surface Pro but, they are well above your price range). I have sold many ASUS machines & always customers love them. You can find good deals on this one. One of the best prices I saw for it was, actually, @ the Microsoft (retail) store. I would not steer you wrong... this will do what you want @ a reasonable cost. I've sold a few of it & it is a darn nice unit. You will not regret this one. Brand new, you should be able to find one for around $300-400. As you can see, it's Windows 8... you just go to Store and grab the 8.1 Upgrade for FREE. Oh and this is not RT, it is full-blown Windows 8.

And specifically X200MA-KX012H ... that is w/ the Intel Pentium. Can get the same model (prefix) for less BUT, it is a Celeron processor which, one does not want! Around £300-350 in the UK

Cheers,
    Drew

Last edited:
Asus does use power4gear software and that can cause an issue if you want to use the Microsoft power drivers instead because the motherboard overrides what the op tells it. I personally find the power4gear drivers are better than Microsoft 8 drivers but if you go for the 8.1 upgrade then I suggest using the Microsoft ones… more for compatibility as performance between them is on a par now that Microsoft has finally woke up and fixed theirs. Regardless you should always go with the Intel graphics drivers because the Microsoft ones are seriously out-dated now and only really there for people that insist on having the op control everything.

p.s. $300-400 for that ASUS X200MA system is dam good!

Well, it's listed @ The Source in Canada @ $500. I just reckoned might be a bit less in the States or find a 'deal' on one somewhere. It's $300 @ The Microsoft retail store in the US & Canada. Yep, ok machine & ok price. And they are Touch screen, too :)

Oh, hang on... Davy is in the UK.

Around £300-350 in the UK
And specifically X200MA-KX012H ... that is w/ the Intel Pentium. Can get the same model (prefix) for less BUT, it is a Celeron processor which, one does not want!

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
I think I need to sum up and figure a next move. It seems to me that what you are saying (concensus) is that you get what you pay for and this machine will surf the net without too many windows open and operate apps rather than full blown software ie open office plus 6 open google pages not good idea. It would make a great e book reader and run low resourse apps but not multi task biggish software. I can live with that to a point and accept my mistake. (it is vey pretty!!!!!!) reasale would seem a bit low as I bought it for £200 but I do need a small hard working machine that will multitask and \i dislike tablets. If I could push my luck, given a budget of £300 what would people buy.
You people are the best by the way, I feel well looked after. THANKYOU

I think I need to sum up and figure a next move. It seems to me that what you are saying (concensus) is that you get what you pay for and this machine will surf the net without too many windows open and operate apps rather than full blown software ie open office plus 6 open google pages not good idea. It would make a great e book reader and run low resourse apps but not multi task biggish software. I can live with that to a point and accept my mistake. (it is vey pretty!!!!!!) reasale would seem a bit low as I bought it for £200 but I do need a small hard working machine that will multitask and \i dislike tablets. If I could push my luck, given a budget of £300 what would people buy.
You people are the best by the way, I feel well looked after. THANKYOU

Davy,

Having done some research, you could, likely, find the ASUS X200MA-KX012H, that I mentioned, for about £300.

Cheers,
Drew

Back