Windows 7 Problems with Resolution and Color Depth

Neomic

I downloaded the build-7000 when it came out, and I couldn't get Win7 to go any higher than a resolution of 640x480 with a color depth of 8-bits. I think it might've been a driver problem, since my motherboard is a little out-dated (2002).

I was wondering if I were to download the newest build (7127, x86), with all the updates they've had since build-7000, would I be able to use Win7 with a normal resolution (768 or higher)?

Processor a
2.40 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

System Model
Gateway ESSEX2 4000811
System Serial Number: 0031817457
Chassis Serial Number: 0031817457
Enclosure Type: Desktop

Main Circuit Board b
Board: Intel Corporation D845GERG3 AAC29595-101
Serial Number: ABRG32821088
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. RG84510A.15A.0037.P15.0304012013 04/01/2003

Display
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller [Display adapter]

Memory Modules c,d
1534 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J6G1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'J6G2' has 512 MB

Any information would be helpful. I'm very eager to make the upgrade, but I can't exactly afford a new computer at the moment.

I would advise against downloading the newer build and it definitely will not fix your resolution problem.

I checked Intel's site for your graphic controller and no Vista support is available, let alone Windows 7.

Actually, I think you should be able to get at least 800x600.

What error message do you receive when trying to change resolutions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at this. They claim to have tested successfully on Windows 7 RC.

"Tested ok on Win7RC1. Boot to safe mode. Uninstall the driver installed for the adapter. Boot into windows 7 and open device manager. Update the driver manually and restart. If it doesnt work redo everything once more."

Maybe they will work, but reghakr is probably right, there is no support for your chip on Intels site. Having said that you do have a greater chance of Windows having a driver for you with the newer builds. I recommend the RC. Did you run Windows update in 7000 to check for drivers?

Have a look at this. They claim to have tested successfully on Windows 7 RC.

\"Tested ok on Win7RC1. Boot to safe mode. Uninstall the driver installed for the adapter. Boot into windows 7 and open device manager. Update the driver manually and restart. If it doesnt work redo everything once more.\"

Maybe they will work, but reghakr is probably right, there is no support for your chip on Intels site. Having said that you do have a greater chance of Windows having a driver for you with the newer builds. I recommend the RC. Did you run Windows update in 7000 to check for drivers?

Yes I did. I think I ran Windows Update a few times, rebooting between each run. I also tried downloading a few other Intel drivers that were similar with no luck. I may give it another shot soon.

When does the trial period for the newer version end? Is it still August 1, 2009?

No itsJune 1, 2010, with bi-hourly shutdowns beginning on March 1, 2010.

Back
Top Bottom