Windows 7 Problems with Windows Live Essentials

lethbridge1

Hi all,

Just upgraded from Vista to Win7 RC and loving it all the way, been waiting for this for a long time. One small problem however:

1) Had windows Live Essentials (messenger, photo gallery and mail) installed under vista.
2) Upgraded to Window 7 :):):)
3) Tried to run Photo Gallery and 7 cannot find it. So I figure "no biggie, must need a reinstall"...
4) download and run the Live Essentials installer...says I already have those progs installed.
5) tried to uninstall via "uninstall programs"...instead of the nice uninstall/repair process that is supposed to come up, it just goes through the UAC screen then disappeared from the list of programs.

So...The installer still says I have the programs so I can't reinstall, and I can't uninstall because there's nothing to uninstall. I'm assuming there's a registry key somewhere that is detailing which Live programs I have 'installed' but I don't know which one that might be.

Anyone know of a way to force live essentials to install, either by using other install means or by editing the registry?

Thanks

Hi all,

Just upgraded from Vista to Win7 RC and loving it all the way, been waiting for this for a long time. One small problem however:

1) Had windows Live Essentials (messenger, photo gallery and mail) installed under vista.
2) Upgraded to Window 7 :):):)
3) Tried to run Photo Gallery and 7 cannot find it. So I figure "no biggie, must need a reinstall"...
4) download and run the Live Essentials installer...says I already have those progs installed.
5) tried to uninstall via "uninstall programs"...instead of the nice uninstall/repair process that is supposed to come up, it just goes through the UAC screen then disappeared from the list of programs.

So...The installer still says I have the programs so I can't reinstall, and I can't uninstall because there's nothing to uninstall. I'm assuming there's a registry key somewhere that is detailing which Live programs I have 'installed' but I don't know which one that might be.

Anyone know of a way to force live essentials to install, either by using other install means or by editing the registry?

Thanks
Try and see if you can uninstall it in Safe Mode and then Reinstalla newly downloaded latest WLM.

Excellent idea...

One Snag: I don't have an uninstaller. The only way I know of to uninstall was via Add/Remove Programs, and Windows Live has been removed from that list already. So I suppose I'm forced to manually uninstall this mess :(

Thanks for the suggestion though...

Excellent idea...

One Snag: I don't have an uninstaller. The only way I know of to uninstall was via Add/Remove Programs, and Windows Live has been removed from that list already. So I suppose I'm forced to manually uninstall this mess :(

Thanks for the suggestion though...
Try CCleaner . You can download from : Download CCleaner 2.19.900 - FileHippo.com
Install this great little freeware with a lot of functions you would love..
Launch CCleaner
From Left pane click Tools [with Wrench Icon ]
See WLM is still seen in the Unistall box and click to highlight it
From Rt pane click Run Uninstaller button
Hope that cleans up the Crap.

The Uninstaller isn't in the CCleaner list, but I'm running a registry clean now and it's stripping out all dead registry entries, which seem to include a lot of references to WLM...hopefully it'll let it install properly, I'll keep you posted.

Argh!!!

No luck, even with the Registry cleanup it still thinks I have Windows Live Essentials installed.

I don't know if it's useful but I tried to install a different element of Live Essentials (Movie Maker) to see if that would replace the uninstaller so that I could uninstall it all. Didn't work :(

Last edited:
The Uninstaller isn't in the CCleaner list, but I'm running a registry clean now and it's stripping out all dead registry entries, which seem to include a lot of references to WLM...hopefully it'll let it install properly, I'll keep you posted.

Argh!!!

No luck, even with the Registry cleanup it still thinks I have Windows Live Essentials installed.

I don't know if it's useful but I tried to install a different element of Live Essentials (Movie Maker) to see if that would replace the uninstaller so that I could uninstall it all. Didn't work :(
You may try this in elevated command prompt as a last resort just before Win 7 repair or Reinstall options:
msiexec /x {B1403D7D-C725-4858-AACC-7E5FA2D72859}

Thanks for the help cmn, but it's not working out for me, I guess I'll try the repair and reinstall options if that's all we've got left.

Thanks for the help cmn, but it's not working out for me, I guess I'll try the repair and reinstall options if that's all we've got left.
I guess a lot of file corruption might have occurred and too complicated to remove all from Registry. Hope you wouldn't have to go to Reinstall to get the system back to normal. We have tried all we could. Good luck :)

GUYS
FOUND THE SOLUTION!

Grab a copy of windows 7 manager from yamicsoft, run the smart uninstaller, it has all the windows live programs, click uninstall and voila all gone done and dusted! W00T!

Back