Windows 7 Problems with with Home Group Visibility

stobster

I recently purchased a Dell PC and a Dell Laptop both running Windows 7 Software.
After carefully constructing the HomeGroup the Laptop is still unable to communicate with the PC although it can see the folders. I have checked the permissions etc and all is the same on both the PC and Laptop. The Firewall settings are the same as well. Finally after many hours of leaving the group and setting it up time and time again i was able to see the Files shared by the PC however was unable to access the Laptop files from the PC ..

Finally i introduced another Laptop running Windows 7 into the HomeGroup and achieved full functionality with the PC although still nothing with the Initial Laptop... I have checked everything i can think of .. Could the Laptop be faulty.. I am running a different Anti virus software on the Laptop.. could this be blocking the HomeGroup operation.. any help would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't suspect the laptop is faulty, assuming that you are able to perform other network activities with it (internet, email, etc.) Especially since you report that it can "see the folders"
Your suspicion that the "different AntiVirus" product may be at the root of the problem is a good one. So a relatively easy proof of concept would be to uninstall the antivirus software. There are some helpful links to top tier vendor's proprietary uninstallers here http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/50402-removal-tools-antivirus-software-drivers.html if your's is not included use google to find the uninstaller from your specific vendor.
If after uninstalling and rebooting the problem is resolved then you've found the culprit. If not you can always re-install it later.
Perhaps take a look at this article and consider rebuilding the homegroup from scratch following the step by step walk-through
Windows 7 HomeGroup: Walkthrough
Good luck and keep us posted.
Randy

Thank you for your help, as you confirmed the Anti virus software was blocking the functionality of the HomeGroup.... all worked well as soon as it was uninstalled... will look at the settings of the PC Antivirus for reinstallation..

Many thanks again.

Good news. Glad to hear that you've zeroed in on the problem. Thanks for posting back with the follow-up. Welcome to the forums and we hope to continue to see you around.

Back
Top Bottom