Windows 10 Process/Service Activity Analysis

CygnusRift

Hello everyone. I recently had a Windows 10 BSOD due to a Clock_Watchdog_Time, which i'm looking into, but i noticed something when it booted back up that piqued my curiosity.

For some reason, Windows Update and Microsoft Software Protection Platform were running for longer than normal when it came back up. Albeit, they were only using 13% of the CPU in total, but it got me wondering.

Is there a way to analyze and find out what Microsoft Software Protection Platform is doing? The only way I know how to check is the Event Viewer, but I'm not finding any Protection Platform service name in Event Viewer to try to filter for it.

I would only be concerned if it's consistently high. MSPP handles all things pertaining to digital licensing and the update server can chew up some resources checking, downloading and applying updates. There are a number of processes that will reoccur after updates are installed. All of which are normal.

I would only be concerned if it's consistently high. MSPP handles all things pertaining to digital licensing and the update server can chew up some resources checking, downloading and applying updates. There are a number of processes that will reoccur after updates are installed. All of which are normal.

Ok. That's what i thought i remembered hearing about MSPP last time I looked into it. Just wasn't sure why it was running a little longer after that BSOD, but maybe that's just me being a little over reactive. Thank you for clarifying that though.

I've heard of some great suggestions for monitoring and checking services with programs such as Process Monitor and FullEventLogView. I'm gonna try to run these next time I come across this issue, or if it continues happening.

Back