Windows 7 Program Crashes when browsing for Files

bdavidson1030

hi

I am consistently getting program crashes from (so far) itunes (9.0.1) and powerISO when I browse for files.

In itunes when I go to Edit->Preferences->Advanced then try to change my default media folder location it will open up windows explorer for about 2 seconds then crash.

In PowerISO when I attempt to mount an image to a virtual drive it will open up windows explorer for me to navigate to particular .iso but it will crash after several seconds.

Im almost positive that these issues are not related to the programs themselves but to the OS. I have done sfc /scannow but with no problems. I am using windows 7 version 7100 with all the latest updates.

Thanks, Brett

EDIT: I tried to change my avatar on my control panel on this website but firefox crashed after opening windows explorer

Itunes
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iTunes.exe
Application Version: 9.0.1.8
Application Timestamp: 4ab809c1
Fault Module Name: objc.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5f5419
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000837c
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Power ISO
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PowerISO.exe
Application Version: 4.3.0.0
Application Timestamp: 490eb75c
Fault Module Name: objc.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5f5419
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00008373
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Last edited:
Try running a chkdsk from the C: drive properties
Reboot and let it finish. Then try it.

Otherwise,, I think this would be an explorer problem. Other than delving into a heap of stuff,,, you might have to reload the system.

However, I would first try updating/reinstalling all drivers and check for latest chipset drivers.

No Success

I ran a chkdsk (took about 2 hours) but to no avail.

I wish you could be more specific about uninstalling/reinstalling drivers seing as how i could be wasting alot of time uninstalling things that are not correlated to the problem (ex. webcam drivers, printer drivers). I have all the latest updates from windows update.

thanks for your help

Brett

Well,, after further looking,,, the problem is most likely is the objc.dll

Let's try this,,,,, uninstall both Itunes and PowerISO..... there could be some conflict with these apps.
Then reboot,,, and install one of them,, see if the problem happens.,,, then the other and see what happens.

Never use Windows updates for driver updates. I wish they would get rid of that option.
9 times out of 10, the drivers corrupt during the d/l install or are corrupted, or cause some other problem.

Go out to all the respective manufactures sites and locate all drivers for all your hardware.
Make sure you get all the motherboard drivers from the Motherboard manufacturer
If it's intel,, make sure to get the Intel Chipset drivers,,, if it's AMD,, get their equivalent.

Usually, if something like this happens,,, it is best to start over and get the right drivers, direct from manufacturer.

Uninstalled both itunes, firefox, and power iso and reinstalled them individually but that did not work. Im still getting windows explorer crashing in all three. I would post a screenshot but firefox crashes when i try to insert a picture :(.

Uninstalled/Reinstalled: video, chipset, sound, printer, and hard disk controller

Any Other Ideas? Can i just replace objc.dll?

thanks, Brett

Problem Fixed!:p

created windows 7 repair disk. restored to a week ago. should have tried it earlier.

thanks for all your help!
Brett

Which verision of IE is opening? The 64 bit has incompatibilities .. such as Adobe Flash has no 64 bit version so you can't use YouTube with IE 64 bit. If the 64 bit is opening that may be the clash. My blog on "Solutions" tells what I did to always use the 32 bit version.

Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and click on the Processes tab to see if iexplore *32 or ie 64 is the version running.

Back