Windows 7 Programs freeze and will not close or restart

befuddled

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend, who just bought a new laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium on it.

It ran perfectly for the first week. Then in some baffling turn of events, it started having this problem where programs would "stop responding."

They don't recover no matter how long you wait, and it's impossible to close them. I even tried using "end process" through the task manager, and they won't close. You have to restart the entire computer to make any progress. It's nonsense.

It was really weird because it didn't start happening for about an hour after I turned it on to look at it. We were starting to think maybe it had just been some weird fluke, because everything was running fine. But then sure enough, Firefox stalled and quit responding, and I couldn't get it to close.

We already tried a virus scan and it found nothing... I'm really confused. Help? Ideas? Anyone?

Hi Befuddled,
you could try a different virus scanner like Microsofts MSE which is one of the best right now: Link Removed due to 404 Error

Have you also tried 'System Restore'? See if you have a restore date which predates the problems..

You might be more specific about how and when it freezes. Check the Event Viewer to see if any errors or warnings are showing up around the time of the freezes.

For instance, if you are running Zone Alarm and Microsoft Security Essentials with the Real time protection turned on, your system may freeze whenever something tries to access the net.

Back