Windows 7 Question on driver updates for windows 7 to 10

musiclover2000

The windows 10 report I ran says my computer is 100% compatible. Does that mean I won't need to download new drivers like audio, Ethernet things like that? Will windows 10 do that for me? This is a computer I built the only thing I've ever ran is windows 7 I plan to create a backup image before the upgrade was just thinking ahead with things that may need to be done.

Thank you

Hi! IMHO creating a back image before the up grade is a great idea. That's thinking ahead. If you don't like W10, you just revert back to W7.
It would be great if every user would do that!:up:You shouldn't have any driver problems with the up grade. Other members may have more replies latter.
PS That's great planning musiclover!:worship:

Well ! Thank you friend! You just made this old country boys day.:beer_mug::worship: The devil made me attach this video. It can be removed if not appropriate. I do like to have a little fun some times and be just a little different or you could even say odd.:rofl: I'm as happy as a hog in a slop pail being on this forum. Great forum, great people. The best help forum on the web!
Have you clicked on my signature??I hope you are enjoying the forum my friend!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwirr9nNq7rMAhVCYiYKHa1PARgQuAIINjAE&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkNTzFAVqSA&usg=AFQjCNGCQU4QxrBmR1O_h-hry5jvyBw63g&sig2=sYp_ibXQqQNAcszyCLII_A

Last edited:
Hi

I'm going to attempt to create my rescue media with macrium reflect for my hard drive but came across a couple questions. Before the actually creation it gives me 2 choices to either use a usb device or cd/dvd burner. Under cd/dvd burner the choices are create a ISO image file or it gives the name of my dvd writer.

1. If I'm looking to create bootable rescue media I would choose the option with my dvd writers name or if i just want to backup a image file I would choose create ISO file.

Is that correct?

2. After creating bootable media it says to test it to verify it will actually work. If I tested it and it didn't work would that wipe my entire drive clean? I do have my windows 7 installation disk if it happened. It's just time consuming reinstalling all my drivers and programs and I just wanted a heads up if it could happen.

Thank you

Hi @musiclover2000 I have the least PC knowledge of all the techs here, but I try harder to make up the difference!:(:rofl:
I'm glad you're enjoying the forum. I'm still smiling from your reply #3
Thank you for that!

Hi @musiclover2000 ! Will try to answer your questions. My advise would to purchase a external USB where you can store several of your images and other things also! That way you can keep several images and delete older images. I have a 1TB external that I keep 5 or 6 images. Macrium will find your images on the external! When you restore the image you will be back just like the day you created the image. Not real good with words.
Yes it's a good idea to verify the image. I do not rename mine. I just go by the dates. You can try the restore right up until it gives option to finish.
Just click cancel. Hope this helps!
Capture48.JPG

I think I finally understand resue media and disk imaging. I created my windows 7 rescue disk with Macrium reflect tonight. The resue media is just an exact copy of windows 7 with current updates and drivers for reinstallation I understand that.

To recover my programs installed I need to create a image backup copy of my current disk and store it on a external hard drive and maybe a second copy on a flash drive for extra copies like you said in your previous replies.

Is this correct?

Just trying to understand this better before I try out windows 10.

I think I finally understand resue media and disk imaging. I created my windows 7 rescue disk with Macrium reflect tonight. The resue media is just an exact copy of windows 7 with current updates and drivers for reinstallation I understand that.

To recover my programs installed I need to create a image backup copy of my current disk and store it on a external hard drive and maybe a second copy on a flash drive for extra copies like you said in your previous replies.

Is this correct?

Just trying to understand this better before I try out windows 10.
The rescue media allows you to boot into Macrium Reflect so you can restore the image. Now you need to create a image of your OS on a external drive. I have never used a flash drive. I suppose it would work, but I can't confirm that.
I hope this answers your question! You are doing the right thing IMHO by creating a image of your OS before trying W10. There may be more replies latter from other members.:up:

Thank you.

So will booting in macrium reflect from the resue media restore just windows 7 or does it include the whole hard drive like programs and things also.

Thats what I'd really like to know.

Hi friend! It will restore all the partitions you selected. When you create a image, it is a exact copy of your OS. It includes every thing. It's actually a clone of your Hard drive. When you restore a image, it will restore every thing just like it was the day you created the image.
I hope this helps! It's way past my bed time. Let me know tomorrow if you have more questions. Here's screen shot what you need to click on. It will include every thing;)
Capture48.JPG

Thanks for the response.

I think I understand now. The DVD boots into macrium reflect and while performing this I would have my external hard drive plugged in were my image file is stored and the software would use that image to restore everything.

Is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions I'm still learning

Thanks for the response.

I think I understand now. The DVD boots into macrium reflect and while performing this I would have my external hard drive plugged in were my image file is stored and the software would use that image to restore everything.

Is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions I'm still learning
Yes Yes Yes! Yea! Never be sorry for asking questions. We all had to learn these things. There will come a day when you will need to use that image and you will be very happy you took the time to learn how to create and restore a image of your OS.
Now that you know how, you can help others learn. I have another little trick to share with you. You can boot into Macrium without the DVD.
Here's how! Don't worry if you want to use the DVD, that will work just fine. With this option I'm given the option to boot into Macrium Reflect without the DVD when I boot windows. Very nice. I don't have to find my DVD. This link will explain how it works.
PS I'm very happy for you!
Windows Boot Menu

Thanks for the link. So using the windows system backup is really the same thing as macrium restore?

I would be creating a recovery disk to boot then use the image back up on my external hard drive to recover my entire hard drive from the image

Is that correct?

Thanks

Hi @musiclover2000 The way you are creating back up images with a 3rd party image program is the best way.
Macrium is the best way IMHO. This is a feature built into Windows that few people know about. I use it because it's another option that you can use to recover from a disaster. I have many ways to recover my OS! The above is better then not having any back up program. I guess that's the best way to say this!
Yes I think you have stated it correctly. It's another way to recover your entire hard drive.
Before long, You can take start teaching and helping our members learn these things.;)
Thanks for making my day. I now know I have at least one member that pays a little attention to my threads.

Back