question on Zorin os

musiclover2000

I was thinking of installing an os called zorin on my laptop. Another user on here recommended it . Its an acer aspire from 2009 it currently has windows vista. I'd love to give it a try but first would like to know if my vista drivers will work with it or what drivers if any I would need.

Thank you

Hi @musiclover2000 That was not just another member that recommended Zorin;)that was a very well qualified staff member and a excellent tech @ussnorway ! What more would you like to know? Quoted from another thread you were being helped on by @ussnorway
"its Linux designed to look | work | feel like windows with modern apps like skype built into it... the drivers are irrelevant to this scenario.

You can download and install it for free and try it out or open a post in our Linux Forums where I’m sure some of the lads and lasses will be happy to explain the ins and outs."

Last edited:
"The drivers are irrelevant". Does that mean I don't need drivers? Zorin provides its own?

Thats what I really need to know. This is all pretty new to me

Thank you

Sorry and yes... the drivers in Zoin are Linux drivers ... they come as part of the install so you don't need to install any windows drivers... my bad mate.

I am a recent convert to Zorin and have nothing bad to report. I am running the Zorin Ultimate and it cost a few bucks but I wanted the works.
Still in the process of learning its full potential but it is so easy to use even a person of modest skill could use it.
Far cry from the early Linux days when just preparing a drive to run Linux required a lot of skill.
I hope you enjoy using Zorin :up:

Zorin or Linux Mint are good beginner distros all you're paying for on Zorin are the Windows themes to make it look more like Windows. You are talking about a complete different OS, but there are tons of support sites out there.

I installed Zorin 9 works great but have a bit of a problem. After installing it everything was fine but after I did the software update I no longer have the task bar. The area that shows the time, wifi strength bar, audio level things like that. The area is white and those icons I mentioned are missing.

Anyone know how to fix this

Thank you

Thanks I went into preferences I manged to fix the problem. Everytime I logged on the task bar was missing on the bottom. For some strange reason if I move it to the top of the screen it doesn't happened. At least it works

I'm thinking you can move it to the top or side. I don't know for sure with Zorin!, but you can with W10!
Glad you got it solved. Is this not the best help forum ever??:rofl:
Capture48.JPG

Hi @musiclover2000 I live and preach what ever HTG says. I have only used Linux for recovering data. I'm sure you will get more replies from members about this! I do know that Linux will run with a bad hard drive. I don't know exactly how it works, but I think it uses the RAM.
We have some Linux experts on the forum that I'm sure will reply;)

Windows Defender is an AV application and no being careful won't cut it on Windows. There are many drive-by malware, malvertising etc that run from the ads on legitimate sites that will infect your system regardless of if your careful or not.

I've decided to try a virus scanner called clamtk. The GUI version is out of date not exactly sure what that is or if its important. Or maybe someone knows of another I could try. I would like to have something installed just to be safe. Linux is really new to me but I like it so far just seems it takes a bit of getting used to how it works.

Thank you

Back