Windows 7 Question: Upgrade from Win7 RC 32-Bit to 64-Bit

UBF

Hi guys,

I was wondering bout something: at the moment I have Windows 7 32-Bit installed on 3 of my PC's at home. 2 of them support 64-Bit and I anyways wanted to use 64-Bit when Windows 7 RTM comes out. Now I wanted to get the 64-Bit version of the RC and wanted to ask if it's possible to do an upgrade from Windows 7 RC 32-Bit to 64-Bit or if I have to do a clean install.

Hope for answers!

Regards,
UBF

I thingk you will have to download the 64 bit version, they are 2 separeate distinct downloads. So I think you have to do another install:mad:

Ya I know that I have to download the 64-Bit from MS. My question was actually if I can use the Upgrade funktion in the installation. So that all my programmes, data, and settings will be kept.

On that I am not sure, I personally did a clean install as I prefer those, I am running it on a separate HD so I can boot between Visa and W-7, I would recommend a clean install format the disc and or partition you are going to install it on. Clean installs give you less chance of file corruption than an upgrade does. When W-7 comes out in October you will have to a clean install anyway or could upgrade your Vista. You will not be able to upgrade W7 RC-1

You must do a clean install in order to go from the 32 bit to the 64 bit version. To do an upgrade, you have to be in the 32 bit OS and run the setup program. However, the setup program for the 64 bit version is a 64 bit program and therefore cannot be run in a 32 bit environment.

You will have to do a clean install to go from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS.. ;) Unfortunately you'll have to reinstall all your apps.. ;)

Can you backup all your apps on a dvd and then clean install the 64 bit and then use backup disk to install all your apps?

Yes you have to reinstall all your apps in my case becase I had the W-7 on a different HD All I had to do then was just copy all the files and documents I had for those apps from one drive to the next, I think there is evena program to do this. :)

Back
Top Bottom