Windows 7 Random crashing and freezing. No BSOD

Pockmark

Where to start to be honest. Well 1st up here is the specs :

Intel Core I7 960 @ 3.2ghz (with optional overclock to 4.0ghz)
ASUS Rampage Black Edition III
6 Gig DDR 3 1600MHZ Ram Corsair
Windows 7 Proffessional SP1 64BIT
2 x Geforce GTX 480 in SLI
Bios Date 03/02/11 Ver 08.00.15
DX 11
WDC WD10EALX-009BAO ATA HDD 1TB

Had this computer for approx 3 weeks and have had nothign but problems with it.
Firstly it would never boot correctly with a secondary IDE HDD attached, so removed this entirely.
Then the CMOS battery was flushed, and couldn't even boot up correctly, and had to be talked through choosing a correct profile within BIOS, this semi fixed it.
Next up was a series of BSODS, accompanied by a Debug report pointing to to a nvrssd.dll file (or something similar), which was resolved via a driver sweep and fresh driver install.

Now the last error I am prepared to put up with, is constant random crashing, from desktop, from within games such as RIFT, SHOGUN2, Mass Effect, Dragon age, pretty much any game. This also occurs while watching videos on Youtube and occasion right off the boring old desktop.

After researching google, there is no real response but it all points seemingly to some hardware fault. There is no BSOD, no BSOD EM upon reboot, just a boot up message saying windows didnt shut down correctly.

The Event viewer is providing info on a critical error Event 41: Kernal Power. This is always the reason for the crashing. There are no other critical alarms/events.

I have since reinstalled windows (didnt think i would be doing that within 3 weeks of getting a new comp) and have the bareminimunm needed to run windows to eliminate any application/software issues.

Since the fresh install of windows all i have on the system is :

Google Chrome
Bullguard 10.0
CPU-Z and GPU-Z
RIFT

Only hardware attached is a logtiech usb keyboard, a Roccat Kone mouse and 5.1 Roccat Speakers and Headphones.

I have all curreny up to date gfx drivers, all drivers cleaned and all up to date. This occurs in BOTH non-overclocked and Overclocked profiles.
There are no Overheating issues, as computer is near a window with a fresh breeze on it. Idle temps of cards are approx 40 degrees, in games are approx 75-80 (which is standard with 480's)
I also cannot perform an in depth mem test , aka overnight, because the computer will not stay on long enough. THe small ones I have performed came back ok

There are no .dmp files being created in Minidump or any reports in WINDOWS/LIVEKERNAL/WATCHDOG.

Can you post the full entry in the event veiwer including the BUGCHECK code? (details on the event and then XML view it) And on a hunch.. do you have a spare power supply to test with?

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-12T16:35:06.557222900Z" />
<EventRecordID>3927</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>David-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

No spare PSU to try :(

Hey Pockmark; you didn't list your PSU and what the wattage is. I'm with Josephur's hunch that your PSU might be under powered.

Last edited:
Well instead of trying to return your power supply, why not remove one of the graphics cards, does the system stabalize at all? Remove one of those cards so your not doing SLI and use another power supply just for testing (borrow one from another system).. see if that helps at all..

Right where to start lol.

After 15 or more attempts to boot up the PC, I have finally got in. The computer has gone back to its old issues of booting up crap again. Computer was hanging on bootup, getting through the BIOS and other hardware boot ups, then it was hanging on a black screen with :

Marvel 88SE91XX Adapter BIOS version 1.0.0.0016 Initialising (Thought this was remedied by removing my old IDE HDD, however with the old IDE HDD removed, it is still registering in the BIOS.. as a viable bootup option).

After 15 minutes or so, it then booted up into a BSOD, which vanished prettyt quick, but i caught something along the lines of "clock to secondary processor" before it vanished. This then rebooted into the Startup Recovery repair tool. This then ran and did a system restore to some point in the past (hadnt installed anything recently so dunno what point it restored to).

After finally getting into windows, the critical errors of Kernel Power 41 were still prevalant in Event Viewer. However there was a BSOD crash message that goes a little something like this :

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shtudown

Problem Signature
Bluescreen
OS Version 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID - 2057

Additional Info

BCCode 101
BCP1 000000000000019
BCP2 000000000000000
BCP3 FFFFF880030F980
BCP4 000000000000006

---------------------

The BT Hub I have connected via a CAT 5 cable, is then not recognised and the computer tells me I have a wireless connection only lol. Have to reboot to fix this,

This comp is well ***** to be honest,.

Back
Top Bottom