Windows 7 Random Freezing after Boot (Build 7077)

Cael

it seems to be random but its not power settings as i tried setting Power management to S1 , S3 and S1&S3

i even enabled HPET i wasnt having a problem with any of the prebeta, beta and beta 2 builds. i'm using a legitimate copy as well as CD-key straight off an MSDN account (thank to my friend Xion)

since i cant fully test out build 7077 i'm not going to dualboot it using my main hard drive untill i know how far 7077 is compared to what i last used (7000)

my system specs are in my profile and yes this from a fresh install

Last edited:
it seems to be random but its not power settings as i tried setting Power management to S1 , S3 and S1&S3

i even enabled HPET i wasnt having a problem with any of the prebeta, beta and beta 2 builds. i'm using a legitimate copy as well as CD-key straight off an MSDN account (thank to my friend Xion)

since i cant fully test out build 7077 i'm not going to dualboot it using my main hard drive untill i know how far 7077 is compared to what i last used (7000)

my system specs are in my profile and yes this from a fresh install

Thank you for giving the SPECS , stating the problem clearly and the steps you have already tried to troubleshoot your Random Freeze problem with win 7 Bit 64 Build 7077. I have tried it in a different hardware environment but luckily has not encountered the problem you are having.

As you might already know the most important causes of "random freeze" is still mostly hardware related and often Thermal , Memory ( RAM and Virtual) and Driver related the last one often from Video card.

Overheat of Processor and other devices inside the Chassis can cause the computer to behave erratically and it may become unresponsive to commands using the mouse or Keyboard which we call "freeze up or "lockup". In some instances computer can go into sudden BSOD . Overheat of the CPU from lack of proper thermal grease, clogged vents of the Cooling System (heat sink & fan assembly) from accumulated dust and moisture and intermittent or complete failure of Case fan or even CPU fan that is in its last leg by spinning against the resistance of caked in dust, case vents butting against the wall or a computer tower neatly tucked inside with all the cables in a computer cabinet with very little ventilatory openings, Hard drives covered by crisscrossing wires and cables are all common causes for premature computer death often preceded by such unresponsive spells. Decreased amount of RAM or increased demand for it from multiple processes especially Video/Multimedia and similarly low virtual memory from decreased free HDD space occurs usually a little more predictably after some use. Never forget Virus and Malware for unusual computer behavior even if you think you have an Antivirus as many Trojans creating artists are one step ahead of Antivirus vendors. In a Beta OS lack of proper drivers can cause BSOD but not freeze up in the usual sense of the word.

My personal suggestion is to rule out overheat and then look for other causes.

Last edited:
Thank you for giving the SPECS , stating the problem clearly and the steps you have already tried to troubleshoot your Random Freeze problem with win 7 Bit 64 Build 7077. I have tried it in a different hardwae environment but luckily has not encountered the problem you are having.

As you might already know the most important causes of "random freeze" is still mostly hardware related and often Thermal , Memory ( RAM and Virtual) and Driver related the last one often from Video card.

Overheat of Processor and other devices inside the Chassis can cause the computer to behave erratically and it may become unresponsive to commands using the mouse or Keyboard which we call "freezeup or "lockup". In some instances computer can go into sudden BSOD . Overheat of the CPU from lack of proper thermal grease, clogged vents of the Cooling System (heatsink & fan assembly) from accumulated dust and moisture and intermittent or complete failure of Case fan or even CPU fan that is in its last leg by spinning against the resistance of caked in dust, case vents butting against the wall or a computer tower neatly tucked inside with all the cables in a computer cabinet with very little ventilatory openings, Hard drives coverd by criss crossing wires and cables are all common causes for premature computer death often preceded by such unresponsive spells. Decreased amount of RAM or increased demad for it from multiple processes especially Video/Multimedia and similarly low virtaul memory from decreased free HDD space occurs usually a little more predictably after some use. Never forget Virus and Malware for unusual computer behavior even if you think you have an Antivirus as many trojans craetic artists are one step ahead of Antivirus vendors. In a Beta OS lack of proper drivers can cause BSOD but not freezeup in the usual sense of the word.

My personal suggestion is to rule out overheat and then look for other causes.

its not an overheat as its running nice and cool at 26C and i have extra case fan installed.the only differance between when i used 6800 and 7000 and when i'm having this issue with 7077 is w/ 6800/7000 i had an PCI-e Geforce 8500GT and this time w/ 7077 i have an Geforce 9500GTS besides that nothing has changed i'm going to try the x64 version Hopefully that'll help

its not an overheat as its running nice and cool at 26C and i have extra case fan installed.the only differance between when i used 6800 and 7000 and when i'm having this issue with 7077 is w/ 6800/7000 i had an PCI-e Geforce 8500GT and this time w/ 7077 i have an Geforce 9500GTS besides that nothing has changed i'm going to try the x64 version Hopefully that'll help

I suspect it could be a problem with the software but not certain ?
Have you tested the 7077 to see it is ok ? A glitchy burn maybe or as mentioned earlier a hidden malware program ?
Not sure this way but if all else is ok then that is really all that remains in question .

I suspect it could be a problem with the software but not certain ?
Have you tested the 7077 to see it is ok ? A glitchy burn maybe or as mentioned earlier a hidden malware program ?
Not sure this way but if all else is ok then that is really all that remains in question .

i checked the disc and it was fine and clean the one who got me my MSDN keys for win7 used the same source for the iso. and he isnt seeing probs but now what i dont get is the x64bit vers of 7077 is workin. though i'm going to test 7100 if its worth it if not then sticking w/ 7077 till RTM's out.

*bump* its stioll happeneing before it was fine in x64 i tried 7100 and it was freezing in both x86 and x64 i tried reverting to 7077 x64 and it still happening... i'm almost done w/ windows 7 if its causing nothing it freezing issues and its driver related or w/e for my system.

This is the closest thing to what's happening to me too. Random crashes. I updated all drivers for every component in my PC and yet BSOD goes on very randomly (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours). I investigated a bit and it seem to be an Win7 glitch or bug or whatever with the ethernet card (or integrated lan). On the other hand people claim it to be an sound card and the third "guilty one" is graphic card, or to be specific ONLY Nvidia type of a graphic card.

No one is sure about this and no one knows what exactly is an error. I only know that I had no and have no (currently I rolled back on Win XP x64) problems with ANY system every installed. Even the 7000 build of Windows 7 is working fine. I hope Microsoft fix this. I sent over 20 dumps to IT's everywhere and all of them confirmed that it could be some or all of those 3 hardware pieces. Yeah.. or it could just be Win 7, right?

Possible solution

Last day I spent some testing. I was lucky enough to spot an "freezer" software I installed. In my case it was AIMP2, a media player similar to Winamp. Possible "party crashers" are utils that are required and installed along with the player:

- DXA Decoder
- MP3 Encoder
- OGG Encoder

So you can blame someone from this list:

- Ogg Vorbis
- Lame MP3 Encoder
- Monkey's Audio
- FLAC

So, if you have a software that contains modules/utilities made by these, it's possible that you will have randomized freezings. I hope I helped someone except myself :)

My 7100 x64 build is running fine for now. If something goes wrong again it'll mean I was wrong about this and you should ignore this post. :)

Ok, I am back and it can mean only 1 thing. My last post is wrong and I apologise. The true problem is my Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller. It seems that it's causing those unpredictable freezings, but it freezes EVERY time when I try to copy data from my comp to laptop.

I haven't tried to disable it in device manager or bios, and frankly I'm tired of this all. If it's gonna work it's gonna work, if it won't then I quit it. I hope someone gets this fixed and until then I'll be doing my work on XP or Vista.

I have random freeze also, im using the same exact hardware (system) as i use for my Vista setup and i have not had one freeze up in Vista.
In 7 I could be browsing forums, internet, whatever and it just locks right up, matter of fact it did it last night and i figured since i was heading to bed i would just let it like that to see if anything changes over night, low and behold nothing changed, woke up and same frozen screen was on monitor.

I have not yet tried different hardware setups but considering i didnt have this issue with Vista I dont see why i would have it with 7.
Sounds to me like its a software problem either a driver or within 7 itself.

mmmmmmmm.......................

I have an atheros ar5007eg wireless adpater, i'm having a similar problem. When i think of it now its only happened since i updated from the original xp drivers i installed. i'll reply back after a roll back and i'll try to download a big file. ( usually it happens when browsing web or youtube or downloading)

Although its only been a few minutes i do notice the difference any network access before crippled the computer but now its a normal task.

Last edited:
Mine is a Realtek RTL8139, i have not pinpointed it to my network adapter though so i dont really know if thats the case for me. Like i said i recon its some sort of driver (software) issue since this system runs perfectly fine under Vista. Its def not a heat issue, my fans are clean and running and this system has been stable for years, just thought i would try out 7 and now its locking up.

Yes, i seen another reply mentioning another Atheros device and thought of my own. But my Ethernet adapter is the same as yours, i don't use the Ethernet much though, but yes a diver problem sounds likely, so far the only problems i've had have been drivers

Whats your specs?

I have a P4 2.6ghz
Abit AI7 Board
3 Gig DDR
Sapphire HD3650 Video Card (running ATi drivers not Sapphires)

Im wondering if its an ATI driver, it would be nice to see if people running Nvidias would post any freeze up issues.

Yea ill try that if it happens again, since i rebooted this morning it has not locked up yet, which is strange cause im not doing anything different then i did last night.

Well i did notice it locked up with network access, even using media player ( getting media info ) so far it still hasn't happened, but it had happened a lot since yesterday morning.

Back