Windows 7 RAR - extracting from a corrupt file?

peterros

Hi, I recently downloaded a rar archive which is corrupt, as I can view the contents but not extract them. Is there any way to get anything out of it or will I have to download it over again?

I wouldn't spend too much time on something which appears to be corrupt. if it's accessible to download again I'd just go ahead and do that.

If the same thing happens, try using 7Zip to open and extract from the archive.
Does 7Zip have any connection with RAR archive? I've never heard 7-Zip tool can really extract from a corrupt RAR archive. The WinRAR tool is capable enough to repair RAR archive. It has a couple of features which you can use to repair RAR archive.
  • First you should try to repair RAR archive by using its built-in repair feature.
  • Secondly you can try to extract data from corrupt RAR archive file.
Refer to this blog post to know how to repair RAR archive...

Thanks.

Hi, I recently downloaded a RAR archive which is corrupt, as I can view the contents but not extract them. Is there any way to get anything out of it or will I have to download it over again?
If the original source is available, it's better to download the file again. Maybe you can't extract data from the corrupt RAR archive by doing anything, not even by using a professional recovery solution. Though you can try a couple of manual tricks to repair RAR archive, but if they fail or don't work for you, you should download the file again instead of spending money on paid recovery tools.

Thanks.

If the rar files are downloaded in the internet, u'd better download it again rather than spend a lot of money on it. But if it has important files, try some professional recovery software maybe.

The original post is over 2yrs old so the op may have moved on..

Back