Windows 10 RE adding a partition to HHD that has 4

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
My HDD has 4 partitions.
System reserved
C: for OS
D: for data
E: for storage
I want to make another partition so I shrunk E and went to create the new partition. I rcvd this message:

The operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Are you sure you want to continue?

I just want to verify I am reading it right. If I do this it will make D, E, and the new partition Dynamic partitions but it will not affect C - the boot partition.

I also have my user profile folders relocated to D: using the LOCATION tab in properties.

Will I have any issues with this???

On an MBR configured drive, what you need to do is remove the fourth partition and then create a logical partition. Inside the Logical partition you can then create additional logical drives...

If you try to create a partition to fill up the drive, it might force you into a primary partition. If you create a partition which does not fill up the empty space, Windows will assume you want a logical partition. After it is created, you can extend it if you so desire.

So a dynamic disk is different than an extended partition and logical drives?

And because I selected the whole unallocated portion it wants to create a dynamic disk instead of a extended partition and a logical drive.

Do I have it right?

Well, selecting 90000 instead of the full 99999 doesn't work either.

You are correct that a MBR configured drive can only hold 4 primary partitions. If you try to create more, it is forced to change the configuration to a Dynamic disk which is what is used in RAID setups. I would not suggest doing that but you may want to wait to see if you get any other opinions.

You can have 3 primary partitions and an extended partition which holds logical drives. I would show you but all of my drives are GPT configured because I use a UEFI configuration.

Back
Top Bottom