Windows 7 Really disappointed with MS

RAK

Extraordinary Member
Has anyone else received this Email today, from Microsoft support.
I was urged into emailing a complaint to them. What a terrible waste of space !!!

One of the biggest linked articles refers mainly to Vista, and is a blatant advert for the "Official" windows magazine. Another, teribly out of date, is an article written in June 2008.... and so on.

This is the second such dated email I have received this month. What the heck. Are they all on holliday over there.

I must say that I'm not too impressed with MS in the arrival of Windows 7. I'm hoping that the sorely needed Service Pack(s) will address some of the crashing and conflicts I'm getting with some of my most-used programs and games. However, I'm not optimistic. I have a 32-bit PC, converted from XP. I know that may be the source of my issues. After my initial installation, I was ecstatic, especially after Media Center found all TV Stations and programmed itself. Then the sound issues started crashing it. Internet Radio crashes all the time. ALL my games crash either right away, or within one half hour. The laptop that I upgraded from Vista runs far more smoothly. If I hadn't run the compatibility tests beforehand, you could say I deserved it. But...

I have had no isuues, other than of my own experiments, with 64Bit or32Bit. I think your problem could relate to your "conversion". How did you do it?

I just did a "clean install" after using the Easy Transfer Wizard to migrate my documents and other files to an external HD. I then systematically loaded the programs back in. I think my problems may stem from either my sound card or my TV card. My SigmaTel High Def Audio doesn't have the most up to date driver. I had to really dig to find one that would actually activate the sounds...that was frustrating. There was no info on the MS W7 compatibility site regarding that brand, so I'm tempted to get one that registers as "compatible". If that doesn't work, then I may try a new HDTV card, but at some point, it becomes a case of diminishing returns.

...I'd like to change my irritated avatar to something calm and satisfied

Seems to me you got the migration right! But work a little harder on the HDTV problem. I have found, in countless cases, that the compatible mode, with harware, works wonders. I have even got one of my old laptop cameras working with a Win 98 driver!

Has anyone else received this Email today, from Microsoft support.
I was urged into emailing a complaint to them. What a terrible waste of space !!!

One of the biggest linked articles refers mainly to Vista, and is a blatant advert for the "Official" windows magazine. Another, teribly out of date, is an article written in June 2008.... and so on.

This is the second such dated email I have received this month. What the heck. Are they all on holliday over there.

I'm not sure that I did RAK... Is this the email in question..?

View attachment 5127

lol no worries.. :) I don't think I've had that email in particular but have received ones very similar and yes there's no avoiding the fact that it is spam.
I know MS have to make a buck but chucking spam at us is annoying to say the least.

Seems to me you got the migration right! But work a little harder on the HDTV problem. I have found, in countless cases, that the compatible mode, with harware, works wonders. I have even got one of my old laptop cameras working with a Win 98 driver!

OK, this is where my ignorance kicks in. I can easily run software in Compatibility Mode, but Hardware? The driver executables are trickier to locate. They might even be hidden. I'll keep looking.

Hi Bertil.
I have browsed without success. I would suggest you repost in the main help forum on this issue. I doubt if some of our resident helpers are peering into this thread.

That's pretty much all you can do though Bertil.. As any hardware usually needs a driver to run (unless it's plug and play) you'll need to install the driver under compatibility mode.
Try checking the guide found here for win 7: TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion You'll see that there's a free version to download. You'll also need a pdf reader and it is a sizeable read but it contains some great information on windows 7.

Edit: You might also find some clues if you run this app: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

If it finds something thats amiss it will (or should) tell what the problem is or could be...

Thanks for all the help. I'll get there in time. Maybe I'll even learn a few things along the way...

Windows 7 driver will become the norm and then these quirks will be history. Of that I have no doubt.

BTW, I ran the W7 Upgrade Advisor before I even attempted the migration. It only showed conflicts with the game Titan Quest, so mostly everything else was unanticipated.

I just found a more recent Sigma Tel HD Audio driver than the previously installed 2005 version that all of my driver update software (Windows Update included) could not. It seems to be working after an extensive initial testing phase. Chalk one up to Man over Machine...at least for the moment. Patience was not a virtue of mine in this case, but persistence was. Thanks again to you guys.

Back
Top Bottom