Reasons why Linux is better then Windows and 10 distros to try out for beginners

ah cheers also say you save documents , text files and video files to the default save location the files will be gone altogether next time ?

k cheers reson i ask is because the first time i booted i had about 8 gigs of space by default now when i boot up it says like 6. something ....

Well its possible to run the entire OS just off a USB disk without installing, if you have a large enough USB thumb drive it can be done with ease.
(I have actually seen a 128 GB USB drive that was only $60 US.
But why do that, I have seen 1TB external drives as low as $70 witch you can install and boot linux from with no issue.)
There is persistent mode though, that can keep your linux based data on a USB each time on bootup as long as you have space on it.

A linux mint 15 installer is only about 1GB, Netrunner OS around 1.6GB, Ubuntu 0.8GB, Zorin OS 1.6GB, etc.. You don't need a large capacity USB to run a linux. A 4GB USB flashdrive ($5) is more than enough (assuming you are not going to load videos and music on it). I did it already with NetRunner OS.

Cheers!

A linux mint 15 installer is only about 1GB, Netrunner OS around 1.6GB, Ubuntu 0.8GB, Zorin OS 1.6GB, etc.. You don't need a large capacity USB to run a linux. A 4GB USB flashdrive ($5) is more than enough (assuming you are not going to load videos and music on it). I did it already with NetRunner OS.

Cheers!

True, though if you wanted to you could run the entire OS just off the USB disk.
But I have played with the notion of just running linux in its own drive outside of my machine to try new distros out in a better way then risk wrecking my system.

yeah, I do the same too. I just recently bought a hot swappable hard drive rack for that purpose. I can take the SSD main OS drive while leaving the test hard drive for running other OSes.

IMAG2446.jpg

Below, main hard drive pulled out:

IMAG2463.jpg

I also have a Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 running on my test hard drive:

IMAG2471.jpg

Mac OS X running on Windows PC:

IMAG2472.jpg

My 1TB data/storage drive is permanently running inside.

Cheers!

Last edited:
woh woh hold the phone , i just ment the first time i ran my live cd it said
8 gigs of well alccated space for that - now every time i load it up its around like 7 or 6 iv installed nothing

Just recently updated to Linux Mint 16 Petra (dual boot with Vista) and dressed it up a little bit. My old and sluggish laptop never ran this fast before. Liking it a lot!

Screenshot-1.png

Back
Top Bottom