Reasons why Linux is better then Windows and 10 distros to try out for beginners

ah cheers also say you save documents , text files and video files to the default save location the files will be gone altogether next time ?

ah cheers also say you save documents , text files and video files to the default save location the files will be gone altogether next time ?

Yes if you are on a live image, on a actual or virtual drive everything you make will stick.
Unless you wipe the drive or erase your virtual drive.

k cheers reson i ask is because the first time i booted i had about 8 gigs of space by default now when i boot up it says like 6. something ....

Well its possible to run the entire OS just off a USB disk without installing, if you have a large enough USB thumb drive it can be done with ease.
(I have actually seen a 128 GB USB drive that was only $60 US.
But why do that, I have seen 1TB external drives as low as $70 witch you can install and boot linux from with no issue.)
There is persistent mode though, that can keep your linux based data on a USB each time on bootup as long as you have space on it.

A linux mint 15 installer is only about 1GB, Netrunner OS around 1.6GB, Ubuntu 0.8GB, Zorin OS 1.6GB, etc.. You don't need a large capacity USB to run a linux. A 4GB USB flashdrive ($5) is more than enough (assuming you are not going to load videos and music on it). I did it already with NetRunner OS.

Cheers!

A linux mint 15 installer is only about 1GB, Netrunner OS around 1.6GB, Ubuntu 0.8GB, Zorin OS 1.6GB, etc.. You don't need a large capacity USB to run a linux. A 4GB USB flashdrive ($5) is more than enough (assuming you are not going to load videos and music on it). I did it already with NetRunner OS.

Cheers!

True, though if you wanted to you could run the entire OS just off the USB disk.
But I have played with the notion of just running linux in its own drive outside of my machine to try new distros out in a better way then risk wrecking my system.

yeah, I do the same too. I just recently bought a hot swappable hard drive rack for that purpose. I can take the SSD main OS drive while leaving the test hard drive for running other OSes.

IMAG2446.jpg

Below, main hard drive pulled out:

IMAG2463.jpg

I also have a Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 running on my test hard drive:

IMAG2471.jpg

Mac OS X running on Windows PC:

IMAG2472.jpg

My 1TB data/storage drive is permanently running inside.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yeah I too have a swap drive port on my machine, but I dont think I will use it for that.
Most likely it will be a card reader spot

woh woh hold the phone , i just ment the first time i ran my live cd it said
8 gigs of well alccated space for that - now every time i load it up its around like 7 or 6 iv installed nothing

woh woh hold the phone , i just ment the first time i ran my live cd it said
8 gigs of well alccated space for that - now every time i load it up its around like 7 or 6 iv installed nothing

No I got your meaning.
Its all okay, nothing should be happening if you are just using the live.

Just recently updated to Linux Mint 16 Petra (dual boot with Vista) and dressed it up a little bit. My old and sluggish laptop never ran this fast before. Liking it a lot!

Screenshot-1.png

Back