Windows 10 Reasons your PC may BSOD

holdum333

Banned
Hi! My hats off to everyone that helps members on Windows Forum with BSOD. I'm not trying to replace them, just help them in my small way! This is taken from HTG. Windows Forum has one of the best techs helping with BSOD. @kemical I hope this helps take a little load off @kemical ;);). I hope I can help make a difference on the forum.
Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death
Useful Tips for Dealing With BSODs
BSODs have a variety of root causes, but these tips will help you deal with many blue screens:

• Use System Restore: If your system recently started blue-screening, use System Restore to roll its system software back to a previous state. If this works, you’ll know that it’s likely a software problem.
  • Scan for Malware: Malware that digs deep into Windows and gets its hooks into the Windows kernel at a low level can cause system instability. Scan your computer for malware to ensure buggy malicious software isn’t causing it to crash.
  • Install Updated Drivers: An incorrectly installed or buggy driver can lead to crashes. Download the latest drivers for your computer’s hardware from your computer manufacturer’s website and install them — this may fix BSODs caused by driver problems.
  • Boot Into Safe Mode: If your computer is blue-screening every time you turn it on, try booting into safe mode. In safe mode, Windows loads only the essential drivers. If a driver you’ve installed is causing Windows to blue screen, it shouldn’t do so in safe mode. You can work on fixing the problem from safe mode.
  • Check for Hardware Problems: Blue screens can be caused by faulty hardware in your computer. Try testing your computer’s memory for errors and checking its temperature to ensure that it isn’t overheating.
  • Reinstall Windows: Reinstalling Windows is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If your computer continues to blue screen after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

"When it comes to hidden gems in Windows, nothing beats the Reliability monitor tool, hidden behind a link inside of another tool that you don’t use either. Why Microsoft doesn’t shine more light on this really useful troubleshooting tool, I'll never know."

Reliability Monitor is the Best Windows Troubleshooting Tool You Aren’t Using
Reliability Monitor tracks the history of your computer — any time an application crashes, hangs, or Windows gives you a blue screen of death. It also tracks other important events, like when software is installed, or Windows Updates loads a new patch.

It’s an extremely useful tool. And yes, it’s in Windows 7 and 8… and even 8.1. It might be in Vista, but who uses that anymore?
PS I really believe I can make a difference on this forum!;);)

May I add, checking if you have the latest bios and updating it may help with bsods too. With memory too, check the timings and voltages are correct. Auto in the bios doesn't always work.

Thanks nmsuk! I hope other members will add their suggestions to this thread also. Up dating the BIOS is a little scary for me. I did it one time on a old HP lap top and it cured all the problems. If you don't know what you're doing, however you can brick your PC;)
Thanks for your reply!

Hi! IMHO there comes a time to bite the bullet and reinstall your OS:usa:
Reinstall Windows: Reinstalling Windows is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If your computer continues to blue screen after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

Hi ! I don't see that many BSOD here in my village, but this is what I would try!
Make sure all the windows up dates are installed!
Check for malware!
Check Reliability Monitor and Event Viewer for clues!
See if you get BSOD in clean boot or safe mode!
Check for heating issues!
Check for hardware issues!
See if you can duplicate the BSOD
Create a back up image !

Then I would update these drivers!
  • Video Card: The difference in speed between the generic Windows drivers for your video card and the official NVidia or ATI/AMDdrivers will surprise you. Even if you aren’t a gamer, make sure you have the real drivers.
  • Motherboard/Chipset: you’ll want to make sure to head to the manufacturer’s site and grab their chipset drivers. If you bought a PC, head to their site, if you built one, go to the motherboard manufacturer’s site. Every installer is different, but in general, you can just run the downloaded driver.
  • Sound Card:the native Windows drivers won’t include all the extra sound features like virtual surround, etc. If you bought a PC, head to their site, if you built one, either go to the motherboard manufacturer’s site for onboard sound, or the sound card manufacturer’s web site otherwise.
  • Network Card: most likely you’re using some type of onboard card that’s part of the motherboard, and you already grabbed the drivers from there.
Reinstall Windows! Start replacing hardware RAM- Hard Drive- Video Card- Power Supply
BSOD's are the hardest problems to solve IMHO!
If anyone has some thing to add to the above, please feel free to do so! I'm always wanting to learn new things!

Back