Windows 7 Reboot Before Installation is Complete?

Pwalex

I have attempted to install Windows 7 a couple of times now (with different copies each time) and I keep getting the same problem:

Everything goes very smoothly for the most part. It finishes the installation, and then goes to reboot. When it attempts to load up Windows 7 the first time, I get the black screen that asks what mode to start windows in (Safe Mode, Start Normally, etc) and I choose start normally. It then brings up the Win 7 startup screen, but pops up with an error that explains that the computer was rebooted unexpectedly and the install did not complete.

From this point, all I can do is click the "ok" button (the only option given in the dialog box) which just restarts the computer. If I just let it go and don't touch anything, it brings me back to the exact same message. This happens infinitely. My only other option is to boot from CD again, which lets me start the install all over again. But this still just results in the same error. I ended up just re-installing XP so that I could try and find a fix for the issue.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is there *anything* I can do, or is it some hardware issue? I'd be very grateful if anyone knows anything about this or can point me in the right direction.

By the way, this is for an x64 edition of Win7. I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2.2 GHz) and 2 gigs of RAM.

If you allow it to boot into safe mode, does it work and could you set a basic video from there?

Does Shift + F10 work from the original black screen window?

Any options for Advanced boot options where you might be able to access the video?

I certainly do not know for sure the video is actually causing the problem, but it seems disabling (even in the bios) or disconnecting anything you can might help.

Thanks for the reply.

It does the same thing regardless of Safe Mode option.

What are you referring to when you say "the video"?

What are you referring to when you say "the video"?
In some cases, reverting back to a basic video can keep a driver from loading that might be causing a problem. But again, I am not sure if it is causing the situation.

If you get into safe mode, open msconfig.exe and on the boot tab, select basic video. Maybe that will help.

If you get frustrated, you might try booting to the install DVD and select repair on the lower left of the window. Then go to the repair options and do a startup repair a couple of times. Maybe that will clear an error.

I have attempted to install Windows 7 a couple of times now (with different copies each time) and I keep getting the same problem:

Everything goes very smoothly for the most part. It finishes the installation, and then goes to reboot. When it attempts to load up Windows 7 the first time, I get the black screen that asks what mode to start windows in (Safe Mode, Start Normally, etc) and I choose start normally. It then brings up the Win 7 startup screen, but pops up with an error that explains that the computer was rebooted unexpectedly and the install did not complete.

From this point, all I can do is click the "ok" button (the only option given in the dialog box) which just restarts the computer. If I just let it go and don't touch anything, it brings me back to the exact same message. This happens infinitely. My only other option is to boot from CD again, which lets me start the install all over again. But this still just results in the same error. I ended up just re-installing XP so that I could try and find a fix for the issue.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is there *anything* I can do, or is it some hardware issue? I'd be very grateful if anyone knows anything about this or can point me in the right direction.

What are your hardware specs? Did you verify that your hardware is all indeed compatible with Windows 7?

Also, what is your motherboard? You could need a SATA controller driver that is unable to load and is causing the failed installations.

The more information on your system, the better we will be in assisting you.

Thanks!

Quote: "I have attempted to install Windows 7 a couple of times now (with different copies each time) and I keep getting the same problem:"

From where did you obtain the copies?(Student: download: etc) Sounds like the possibility of a bad original, from which the copies were burned.

Back
Top Bottom