Windows 7 Recent Windows 7 upgrades are killing my laptop! Anyone else?

Erie

The infamous update KB2677070 keeps failing to install and everyday repeats. Anyone else experiencing this?

Have you looked at your update history and right clicked on the failed update to see if any info is available about the problem.

The Update is "An automatic updater of revoked certificates", and mentions possible problems with systems were the URLs are preset into the system, normally enterprise type systems, if that has any relevance to your situation.

I don't suppose opening a command prompt and doing a ipconfig /flushdns would help. Since they are changing the URL, it might be related.

Last edited:
I have checked the update history and possible problems. Microsoft gives absolutely no specifics on how to troubleshoot. I have also performed the obvious Restore System to previous dates but that doesn't help either. Thanks for your post.

Last edited:
The details of the failure do not give you an error number?

You may need to copy the WindowsUpdate.log from C:\Windows to your desktop. Then copy the last few days of the log and paste into a notepad file. Zip it and attach, or just attach using the paperclip on the Advanced Reply dialog.

Here is the rar file of recent Windowupdate.log. Thanks.

Attachments

• WindowsUpdate-July.rar
    49.3 KB · Views: 133
Wish I could help, but I do not have any .rar utilities installed on my system, which is why I asked you to .zip it. Would you please replace it with a zipped version?

This update seems to have been offered back in June. I suppose it has been having problems since then.

But it appears the install cannot create a package due to "error 800b0100 No signature was present in the subject".

I am not an expert at reading these things, so I might be on the wrong track, but it appears the package already downloaded is not, for some reason, useable. So I might suggest some things.

Do a manual check for available updates. That might get the system to verify some settings.

If the update shows as being installed, you might try to uninstall it.

If you have not tried a manual install, you can download the KB from here, and use IE.

Microsoft Update Catalog

If a manual install does not work, and you show the following file in its current directory, you might try deleting it.

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\de2b552d1042bd6ffeb054ce4588e824

If none of that works, the big hammer seems to be renaming or deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder in the C:\Windows directory. If you do this, and I have, it will take some time for your system to catch up.

Your other updates appear to be working fine, so that would seem to confirm there is some problem with just this one.

Back