Recommend malware software

Fenway16

Honorable Member
Malwarebytes has been a really terrific program for me for many years. Lately, it's been acting up and their tech support dept. has not been responsive to their customers. One of the posters on their site said they posted a need for help on Oct 8 and as of this morning -- Oct 13, have not received a reply. I posted need 2 days ago with same - no help. The following is a quote from one of their customers which was posted less than an hour ago:

"I'm really sorry to say, but paying customers are NOT beta testers. I would be really glad if someone could CONFIRM that you are really working on all those issues.

It is just frustrating. I was so glad when I could finally offer my customers a tool which was so great all the years, but now - sorry to say - it's just a mess. So MANY issues and problems. That just can't be. Don't get me wrong, I don't want any money back. I want a tool which works. A tool which was great! I hope you guys DID get this. And I really hope the Q4 release or what ever WILL resolve this issues..."

Anyway, seems many are experiencing problems with this great program. I am now looking for a free malware program that I can trust to take care of all the monstrous malware nonsense floating around the web these days. Once MWB gets itself together and works correctly again, I will go back and I will continue to support it.
Thanks in advance.

For free solutions AVG and Avast tend to rank higher in third party test results. I personally use Webroot which isn't free
but has
  • 100% detect rates
  • Probably the smallest foot print on your system 8MB memory and about the same on disk.
  • Installs in 10 seconds
  • Scans only take minutes
  • Blocks known malicious items
  • Sandboxes and journals flagged suspicious processes and can even roll back ransomeware encryption

Aren't Avast and AVG basically anti-virus programs? Since I have Avira on my system don't know if I should do one of those. Thanks for input.

Viruses are just one kind of malware. You don't need two malware protections suites they will often interfere with each other. Avira isn't very good either. You'd be better off with Avast or AVG both have better detection rates and features over Avira.

Yes, I am aware that there will be conflicts if too many av or malware programs are installed. That is why I was looking for a standalone malware program such as MWB. It does not interfere with my Avira program. I will check out AVG - had it on my sys many years ago. Also Avast. Thanks again.

Just to be clear anti virus and anti malware software are the same thing. The term malware was coined later and many simply stuck with the virus moniker because the general populous were at least familiar with the term.

OK... thanks for that clarification. I know that MWB has recently designed their malware protection to include an anti-virus mechanism. I guess that's why I thought the 2 were separate.

Types of malware include viruses, spyware, PUPs, rootkits, bootkits, ransonware, scareware, adware and worms.

A virus is a form a malware that will try and propagate on a network. There are also sub-types of viruses
  • Armored
  • Boot Sector
  • Direct Action
  • Resident
  • Multipartite
  • Polymorphic
  • Overwrite
  • Spacefiller

Back