Windows 10 Recover Product Key

Ninpodeshi

I bought a Win10 laptop and had a major crash a couple years ago. I had lost the paper where I wrote down my product key, and can no longer find the whole thing. The repair center kept the old install in a partition. I was recently able to recover part of my original product key. Is there any way to recover the rest of it and have my legit copy of Win10 again?

Hey Ninpodeshi, Can you please clarify more about the part "was recently able to recover part of my original product key"??
And exactly what are you wanting to recover and have legit copy of windows10??

Is there a way to recover the entire product key so I can have a legit copy of Win10 again? I was told on another forum to come here and that MS tech support should be able to help.

Is there a way to recover the entire product key so I can have a legit copy of Win10 again? I was told on another forum to come here and that MS tech support should be able to help.
I think that IF you signed in to your old computer using your Microsoft-account the license is stored digitally!
So if you installed any other PC after that and it sshowed to be activated, you may already hav transfered that license to another PC..

If not.. All you need to do is to create a local account that you attach to your old Microsoft account and this will activate your new PC (using the old license!)

The computer was bricked. The techs couldn't restore it, nor could they find the key, but they placed the OS into a file folder so I could look through it. It is still the same PC (seriously? I said I had a crash, not a transfer). I tried half a dozen key extraction programs but was only able to find the first section of the product key. No hardware was moved or removed; just a hard crash.

No, a good way to save money would be to switch to Linux. I want to recover the product key for the software I already paid for. Please stop trolling.

Windows 10 licenses can be stored in different ways. In some cases it will be accessible via WMI. WMI is stored at this location C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository, but I don't believe there is a way to load this on another computer to view it. The license can also be digitally stored or embedded in the firmware of the system and again since the system is dead you're not going to be able to retrieve it.

Going back to your original post, if the computer you purchases came with Windows 10 it's a COA or OEM license which is tied to the system it came on and cannot be legally transferred. The only way to get that code is from the manufacturer. If it was purchased with a retail license you'll need to contact whomever the license was purchased through and they may have record of your key. Beyond that you may be out of luck.

I think that IF you signed in to your old computer using your Microsoft-account the license is stored digitally!
So if you installed any other PC after that and it sshowed to be activated, you may already hav transfered that license to another PC..

If not.. All you need to do is to create a local account that you attach to your old Microsoft account and this will activate your new PC (using the old license!)
This is the solution... If you may used the SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT to sign into your NEW PC (Not yet activated) with the same MS-account that pc will be activated with that accounts "digital license"... (it will transfer to your NEW pc) so you do not need the license code your self..

A question along a similar vein. My existing computer is coming to the end of its life. I am planning to buy new without an operating system installed. Can I transfer existing W10? I am thinking recovery ISO, format old computer hard drive, maybe install Linux, and use ISO to install W10 on new. I believe I have license / serial no. shown in W10 Settings as Product ID (XXXXX not actual) then 80000-60247-AA508
If the answer to above is yes will W11 affect anything? I am considering waiting until W11 is working well on existing before switching to new machine.

Hello Bridterry, Yup you are almost correct except the license key part shown in settings. That is not the license of your Windows 10.
And as far my opinion I will suggest you if you have the new machine you can switch it on. It will cause no harm with W11. You can still upgrade it on your new machine.

Now in order to find the license key of your Windows 10, follow this:

Type in the search box Command Prompt, right click and select RUN AS ADMIN option
Once open, type this command in it and your 25 digit product key will appear, which you can save it somewhere else
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Let me know if I can help you with anything else. Adios and cheers. Hope you are safe and are doing good?

Only retail licenses can be transferred. slmgr /dlv will show details about your license. If it's not retail you'll need a new license

Back