Windows 10 Recovery from damaged hard disk

Newfie

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 . System started with error messages but a restart usually resolved.
Performed backup using the Windows 7 backup , system image and user data
System running extremely slow again, could not resolve it. Took 30 minutes to boot.
Repair shop found hard disk was failed, replaced it and did a clean install of Windows .

I am ready to do a restore of either the system image or user data from my backup from an external USB drive. There is a very strong possibility that my only backup has errors on it because the hard drive was failing when the backup was done. So, I am looking for the easiest way to repair any Windows files that are corrupted while keeping the user accounts and data in place should I use system image restore? Had many non Windows programs installed like Nero 2013, Mozilla Thunderbird email etc.

I know a reset with keep user apps will fix the corrupted Windows files but I would have to reinstall all non Microsoft programs and data. That is a lot of work...
What is the sequence to restore back the user data ? Do I create the user accounts first and then reinstall the non Windows programs and finally restore the user data??.??
If I restore the system image the only thing I have to correct is any possibly corrupted Windows files? I would not have to reinstall non Windows 10 programs and data.

Do I have to download Windows 10 as an iOS file , place it on a USB or on my desktop so if there are corrupted Windows 10 files. Do I have all the media already available??

Or, should I create the user accounts, then download and install all previously installed non Windows programs like Nero 2013 or Windows live mail and then restore the user data ? A lot of work indeed

In summary, I have a clean install of Windows 10 , a system image and user data from a backup taken while I had a failing hard drive. What is the best thing to do to restore my user data and what order do I do things in and what media do I need to have before I start i.e. An iOS copy of Windows 10 on my desktop or on a USB drive?
I would appreciate your help

Last edited:
For Windows 10 you need a new blank disc (usb gpt install) and rebuild the operating system from fresh... i.e assume the back up is buggered.
For Windows 7 I'd install it from the image backup and then try to repair any missing system/ program files and test to get it stable... up to you if it's worth the time but whatever happens, get yourself a good backup software for next time so you don't have to do it all again in 6 months time when something else go tits up.

I'd be getting Acronis, doing a backup of the current system as it is, then backing up. Then if you like you could put the backups you do have back on knowing if they're screwed up, you can easily get back to a working system with little effort.

I'd be getting Acronis, doing a backup of the current system as it is, then backing up. Then if you like you could put the backups you do have back on knowing if they're screwed up, you can easily get back to a working system with little effort.
I apologize but I edited my original problem. My backup is on an external USB drive. So, I now have the PC back from the show with a clean install of Windows 10 on a new hard disk.

Back
Top Bottom