Windows 10 Recovery lost path

Sandgrain

Hello everyone!

I own a Asus Zenbook UX31A that came originaly with Windows 7, that was updated to Windows 10.

It has an SSD with a recovery partition and I never messed with the partition table. The laptop is becoming slower so I decided to reset to factory settings (wich I already did a few times since I have this laptop) but I get an error about recovery not being available.

The recovery partition is there, as I can access it through command line, and so does the recovery file (.swm)

I installed HDTune and all the diagnostics came clean. I checked the partition through Windows 10 and got the same result.

When I use the command reagentc /info I get the info you can check in the attached photo.

It seems that the system lost the path to reach the recovery file. Is it possible to correct this?

Thank you for all the help!

d800e79125.jpg
d8010d6433.jpg
d801225846.jpg

The Windows recovery and the Asus recovery are two completely different things. Windows recovery (WinRE) can be reached by pressing F8 or hold shift and selecting restart from the start menu. This recovery allows for basic repair of the Windows OS and underlying file system. The factory reset is stored on that 10GB partition and has to be accessed by the pressing one of the F# keys generally F11 when prompted at the BIOS screen. Other than seeing the partition Windows, Windows doesn't have anything to do with this partition. If it's damaged you will want to request a recovery media from Asus. This media will have the same functionality as that partition.

The Windows recovery and the Asus recovery are two completely different things. Windows recovery (WinRE) can be reached by pressing F8 or hold shift and selecting restart from the start menu. This recovery allows for basic repair of the Windows OS and underlying file system. The factory reset is stored on that 10GB partition and has to be accessed by the pressing one of the F# keys generally F11 when prompted at the BIOS screen. Other than seeing the partition Windows, Windows doesn't have anything to do with this partition. If it's damaged you will want to request a recovery media from Asus. This media will have the same functionality as that partition.

Thank you for your reply and sorry for mixing up the two recoveries. I checked that the recovery partition is healthy, can't seem to sort why fails to load that recovery file.

Good post, Mike! I wasn't aware of this particular issue with Asus zenbooks-the ones I've gotten in lately have been so badly damaged I never got to the recovery stage (broken screens, bad Mobo, etc.) The utility download from ASUS is pretty cool. :cool:

<<<BBJ>>>

Hi

Check this out, it appears that the Windows update can interfere with the factory reset started normally from the F9 key.

This seems to indicate how to get around this problem

After upgrade to Windows 10 - ASUS Recovery (Reset)/F9 has no function

Mike

Thank you for your message Mike.

Unfortunely I already tried that and it gives me the error about not being able to locate the recovery location.

As a last resort I can always format and install Windows 10 from scratch but Asus doesn't provide drivers for Windows 10.

Have a Merry Christmas!

If it doesn't work in the system, maybe you can search some third-party software for help. If you don't mind. To find some partition recovery software. I know one named Easeus. it has one software: EaseUS Partition Master. It's free and u can google it. but actually I dont know whether it works for ur situation. Anyway, if no method solving it, just try it.
Good luck!

Anytime you computer is running slow, download CCleaner and it will clean up your SSD drive.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom