Windows 7 Recurring BSOD after 10 to 20 minutes of use

Dustin Callahan

Hello, I'm having a recurring BSOD after 10-20 minutes of use. I can start and use my computer in Safe Mode so basic drivers are not the problem. I feel like the problem started after I did a windows update, but I can't be certain. I've attached my dump files and other information. I wasn't able to snap screenshots of all the tabs in CPU-Z because in Safe Mode most besides "Cache" and "CPU" don't show any data. I appreciate any help that can be given. thank you!

Attachments

• MiniDump.rar
    571 KB · Views: 264
Okay, I managed to take all the screenshots from CPU-Z with info on my system before getting restarted from the blue screen. I've uploaded the rar file. Thank you! Dustin

Attachments

• CPU-Z Screenshots.rar
    223.8 KB · Views: 251
Hi Distin and Welcome to The Forum.

STOP 0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Usual causes:
Insufficient disk space, Device driver, Video card, BIOS, Breakpoint in startup without having a debugger attached, Hardware incompatibility, Faulty system service, 3rd party remote control, Memory.

A lot of your recent dump files list klif.sys as the probable cause.
This is a Kaspersky file.
Old and incompatible drivers can and do cause issues with Windows 7, often giving false error codes.
Random stop codes can often indicate hardware issues.

As a Priority:

Kaspersky can, on rare occasions, contribute to BSOD's on some Windows 7 systems.
Uninstall Kaspersky with the Removal tool for Kaspersky and download BSOD friendly Link Removed due to 404 Error as its replacement. Make sure Windows firewall is enabled. Once your blue screen issues are resolved feel free to re-install an up to date Kaspersky set up.

PC Tools is known to be a cause of BSOD's on many Windows 7 systems. Uninstall PC Tools, including ThreatFire.

Let us know how it goes. If you get further problems with blue screens, attach your new dump files and details and we'll move on from there.

HTH.

So far this looks like it worked. I've been using my computer well past the time I would normally receive a blue screen. Thanks so much for your help!

Okay, so I guess I spoke too soon. Not too long after my last post the blue screen came up with the same error. I've attached the new dump file. The blue screen did take much longer to pop up than usual which led me to believe the issue was resolved. The blue screen did pop up after I ran a windows security essentials scan and removed two trojan threats (one medium and the other severe). Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• 013112-27643-01.dmp
    142.3 KB · Views: 237
Here are descriptions of the two threats I removed with Microsoft Security and their locations on my system:

Encyclopedia entry: SettingsModifier:Win32/PossibleHostsFileHijack - Learn more about malware - Microsoft Malware Protection Center

Items:
file:C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Encyclopedia entry: TrojanDownloader:Win32/Cred.B - Learn more about malware - Microsoft Malware Protection Center

2 locations:

Items:
file:C:\Users\M400\AppData\Roaming\dlldevice.exe
file:C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\dlldevice.exe
regkey:HKCU@S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\dlldevice
regkey:HKCU@S-1-5-21-2822469694-2760138760-2989012466-1000\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\dlldevice
regkey:HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\dlldevice
runkey:HKCU@S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\dlldevice
runkey:HKCU@S-1-5-21-2822469694-2760138760-2989012466-1000\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\dlldevice
runkey:HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\dlldevice

=========

Items:
file:C:\ProgramData\ctfdevice.exe
process:pid:2764
regkey:HKCU@S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\ctfdevice
regkey:HKCU@S-1-5-21-2822469694-2760138760-2989012466-1000\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\ctfdevice
regkey:HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\ctfdevice
runkey:HKCU@S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\ctfdevice
runkey:HKCU@S-1-5-21-2822469694-2760138760-2989012466-1000\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\ctfdevice
runkey:HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\\ctfdevice

I removed them with Microsoft Security Essentials in normal mode. I'm running in safe mode now since the blue screens started up again. One of the threats was causing my google search links to redirect and that seems to be fixed now. I'll run Malwarebytes in safe mode. Anything new from the recent dump file? Thank you!

For now, I'd suggest going to Toshiba and updating any drivers it can offer you (probably none knowing Toshiba!). A lot of their drivers are outdated.

Then use the Intel® Driver Update Utility (in Internet Explorer gives me the best results). Update any drivers available.

Elmer, is it okay to update the drivers in safe mode with the intel driver utility? Also, the Malwarebytes program has detected 12 objects so far. Should I have it disinfect or quarantine these when the scan is completed? Thank you

Okay, so here's my log from Malwarebytes after running in safe mode. Should I remove all of these threats?

Attachments

• mbam-log-2012-01-31 (23-12-15).txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 292
Well, I removed the 15 threats and it appeared to fix the blue screen, however, now I'm unable to connect to the Internet. Everytime I try to connect it says limited connectivity. My Internet was fine before using Malwarebytes. I can restore the quarantined files, however, I don't want to reinfect my system. Any advice is appreciated. I may just have to take the computer in and have someone fix the issue.

Run sfc /scannow to check and repair your system files. Which browser are you using for the internet? Try uninstalling / re-installing.

Back