Windows 7 Recycle Bin display problem

I HAVE THE SAME problem.
I am trying to run a scan with Vipre. It keeps hanging on a file in the recycle bin, but the RB icon and the grayed out "Empty Recycle Bin" tells me they are empty.
If I look in $RECYCLE.BIN I see Recycle Bin sub folders and nothing in them, not even the S.... sub folder. If I rt click for Properties it says there is over a gig in there.
Everything is enabled to view system, hidden, etc.
My C: drive has one Recycle Bin sub folder. The $RECYCLE.BIN folder has a lock on it.
My D: drive has a $RECYCLE.BIN folder without a lock and 4 Recycle Bin sub folders, one with a lock on it.
I can open all of the folders. There is only one drive with 2 partitions. There are no other drives?

1. HOW DO I CLEAN THEM OUT?
2. WHY IS THERE 4 SUBS ON D:
3. WHY IS IT DOING THIS?

You have multiple user accounts set up on your system. Each user account shares the same $recycle.bin folder, but the deleted data is stored SECURILY in a sub-folder with a unique quid number.

I *think* you can click "start" type and enter "di" and the disk cleanup utility will run and you can clean up the entire recycle bin with it?? Let me know. I can't test it without setting up some accounts.

If that doesn't work you can boot to the install disk.. press Shift F10 to go to the command prompt then use dos commands to get by most of the file restrictions.... and delete, copy, rename ect.

Last edited:
NO, there is only me on this computer. So I can't understand all the sub folders.
After beating on it I managed to delete the recycle bins and reboot. They were back WITH the same crap in them. Though I did get rid of the extra subs. I tried it again but it is a mirage. They are not actually deleted, the name is just removed from WE until u refresh it.

I have tried everything except the boot disk. I'll give it a shot.

thhx

I'm pretty sure it will not create subfolders unless you have multiple accounts. Did you do an upgrade? They came from somewhere and they are the only reason for multiple folders that I can find.

Under windows explorer, look at users and see if there are other users listed. It doen't mean they will be presented as options to you at logon.

The only "accounts" are Guest and mine, and guest is off.
Anyway, that really isn't this issue.
The issue is that there is "stuff" in there that I can't see and I can't delete the folder that it appears to be in.
Actually, if I bang it enough it will eventually show me the file which I have no access to.
My AV doesn't like it and it hangs on it every time it scans. I guess it can't access it either to quarantine it.

Last edited:
The only "accounts" are Guest and mine, and guest is off.
Anyway, that really isn't this issue.
The issue is that there is "stuff" in there that I can't see and I can't delete the folder that it appears to be in.
Actually, if I bang it enough it will eventually show me the file which I have no access to.
My AV doesn't like it and it hangs on it every time it scans. I guess it can't access it either to quarantine it.

Ok... try this

Click Start and type folder
select folder options
go to view
see the last option when the window opens.... hide protected operating system files
uncheck it... then apply
in Windows explorer you can click on the $recycle folder and then in the right plane delete the subfolders

t
as I said
Everything is enabled to view system, hidden, etc.

Drew
was there suppose to be a link there??
I am aware of what shift delete does, thanks.

Back