Windows 7 Recycle Bin display problem

Racer Xonclar

I was doing some hard drive clean up since some of my older saved apps won't run on 7. After deleting around 4gb worth of data, I looked in the recycling bin and...it only showed about 8 things in it. When i went to empty it, i told it to show more detail and it was cleaning out everything I had deleted. So i know it was there...just not displaying it properly.

I'm about to do some testing...see if it's file size related or simply the number of files.

Could you clarify a little bit.

First, you shouldn't be deleting programs, they need to be uninstalled

I'm confused as to how you could delete 4 GB of files:confused:

If you right click on the recycling bin and click on" properties" you can change the amount of space allocated to the bin and whether the deleted items go into the bin or are instantly deleted. You probably deleted more bites than the recycling bin could handle. I like to wait a few days before permanently deleting stuff as your system cannot restore anything thats gone.

Could you clarify a little bit.

First, you shouldn't be deleting programs, they need to be uninstalled

I'm confused as to how you could delete 4 GB of files:confused:

No...i wasn't deleting installed programs. I said these were old saved programs...zips stored on one of my other hard drives. And when you delete around 6 copies of Winamp, about 4 saved CD images of programs, etc...yeah, you stack up to 4gb pretty quick.

And no I hadn't exceeded the Recycle Bin's size. By default it was set on over 9gb and I've since manually set it to 15gb (10% of my hard drive).

Here's a specific example from my recent test. Opened the Recycle Bin then deleted a folder with about 3gb of PDFs in it. It showed up in the Recycle Bin as it should, was selectable, I could restore it and re-delete it, and the status bar showed "1 item". I closed the Recycle Bin and reopened and *poof*...the folder was gone. Status bar showed "0 items" and it simply wasn't there. Hit the "Restore All" button and nothing restores. With the Recycle Bin open again, I deleted something else. It showed up properly, status bar said "1 item". Again...could restore it and re-delete it at will. Instead of closing the Recycle Bin, I simply refreshed it. *poof*...disappeared again, just like the last item. Yet when I hit the "Empty Recycle Bin" button...it asked if I wanted to permanently delete these 2 files. So they're really in the Recycle Bin...but cannot be seen or restored.

Never heard of that happening.

I keep the Recycle Bin on the desktop, no need whatsoever to open it, just delete any file or folder you want.

Mine says restoring and stays at 1 for a while but when it restores the folder, it does display all the files being processed.

Have you done any customization or registry editing, or used any type of Tweaking program for Windows 7?

Have you done any customization or registry editing, or used any type of Tweaking program for Windows 7?

The only thing I've done was a command prompt level command to disable the digital signature checking for drivers on boot. Had to do that because I had 3 drives that wouldn't so up if it did the check.

Beyond that...nothing.

There is an option to show all folders under Organise > Folder and Search Options. Don't know if that will help.

To view the Recycle Bin on the C: drive, go to Control Panel > Folder Options and choose Show hidden files and folders.

To view the Recycle Bin on the C: drive, go to Control Panel > Folder Options and choose Show hidden files and folders.

Yeah, I already did that. Looking inside of C:\$RecycleBin, all I see is a file/object called "Recycle Bin" that has the Recycle Bin's icon...and opening it shows me the exact same thing I see if I double click the icon on the desktop, an incorrectly empty Recycle Bin

It's strange, but each partition has it's own C:\$RecycleBin folder.

I have learned not to mess with these files or folders as I was deleted the contents of one and lost important data.

How...I have no idea.

Is this the only problem you are having with Windows 7?

I'd say let it go, you know how it's acting and it's not harming your system.

It shouldbe fixed by RTM, if MS even knows about it.;)

I thought you might be interested in this discussion. Seems like there is a problem with the lenght of a file name that W7 Recycle Bin can handle. Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back