Windows 8 Refresh not working

maeve1941

Hi,

I've just come back to windows 8 as I found that 7 suited me better. Now I have installed 8 upgrade as I wanted Media Centre and have only until the end of January to get it for free. A couple of things are not working too well so decided to 'refresh'. I get a message to insert windows 8 media so I do but nothing happens and I can't refresh.
I have an OEM (Sony Vaio) complete with a lot of unwanted programs. I deleted most of them before installing 8 but I think what's there could be the cause of my keyboard and mouse doing weird things.
Anyway a refresh would be better if I could get it to go otherwise a complete reinstall probably is the only answer but I prefer not to.

Any suggestions on how I can refresh?
Thanks

Since the Refresh will delete all the apps you added anyway, just do a complete Custom (Clean) install. Most of these strange problems have been caused by a botched Upgrade Install.

Hi,

I've just come back to windows 8 as I found that 7 suited me better. Now I have installed 8 upgrade as I wanted Media Centre and have only until the end of January to get it for free. A couple of things are not working too well so decided to 'refresh'. I get a message to insert windows 8 media so I do but nothing happens and I can't refresh.
I have an OEM (Sony Vaio) complete with a lot of unwanted programs. I deleted most of them before installing 8 but I think what's there could be the cause of my keyboard and mouse doing weird things.
Anyway a refresh would be better if I could get it to go otherwise a complete reinstall probably is the only answer but I prefer not to.

Any suggestions on how I can refresh?
Thanks

Hi,

if you originally upgraded I'd suggest you perform a clean install rather than a refresh. Change the boot order to boot from disk or thumbdrive and perform a custom or clean install. Try this article for tips:

How To Clean Install Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Back