Windows 8 Reinstall Windows 8

Night666

I have bought "Windows 8" 1 year and a half ago. Of course, I have my product key. For reasons I do not summarize in this first message, I have installed Ubuntu and I don't have Windows anymore. I would like to reinstall it now but I don't have any cd (I have only the product key). Does exist a method to reinstall it without spending other money?

If you have a Windows 8 product key as you've said then you can go here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
That should do it for you. I might suggest, at some point during the process you should see an option that will allow you to install it later by creating an ISO, which you can burn to a DVD or USB Thumb Drive and have on hand should you ever need it again.

Dear Trouble, I think is wrong your suggestion as I can't start installing it from Ubuntu (the step of the ISO file comes after you have already started the process of installation by clicking the file "OSGS14-WindowsSetupBox-32bitand64bit-English-4141408.exe" but, as I have said, I can't open it from Ubuntu and neither from Windoes Vista or other versions of Windows older than Windows 7. This is the problem:(

OK then.....
I suggest you contact Microsoft Support, explain the circumstances and if all your facts and details regarding your product key purchase "1 year and a half ago" check out OK, then I suspect they will provide a suitable direct download link to and for the product that you are licensed for.

I don't want to look arrogant, and I say thanks for help, but I am amazed of how much you are not prepared on the topic, and you are professional!!! It is not matter of links, it is simply matter that it is impossible to install Windows again from another operating system!!!! It is possible only with an ISO file which I do not find on the internet... Are you saying that Microsoft will send me privately an ISO file for installing Windows? :O

I am suggesting that Microsoft might provide you with a direct download link that will match your product key and its' associated licensing stipulations.
However, by and large, as far as I know, for the most part Windows 8 was an "UPGRADE" only Operating System and I don't believe that any full retail version were ever sold through any distributors (unlike Windows 7 and Windows 8.1).

I would think that your first goal might be to secure the installation media that you're entitled to by virtue of your purchase.
And if at that point you find yourself in the same basic situation (having an upgrade product key and upgrade media) then you might consider availing yourself of some Google resources that might help with that predicament.

Again, I believe that both of those links presupposes that the OP is running a version of Windows, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Again, I believe that both of those links presupposes that the OP is running a version of Windows, which doesn't seem to be the case.
All he needs is the .iso. He can get that with a Windows system - friend, family, internet cafe.

Agreed. That's true but we are having some problems regarding out of the box thinking at the moment.

Back