Windows 7 Relocated Temp Folders to SD card and it corrupts

jyorkcar

Hi,

I am new here. I installed an SSD and relocated some various temp folders to an SDHC card to minimize write operations on the SSD (although I understand this is not necessary). Anyway, I purchased a 16GB class 10 Polaroid SDHC card to be exact and it gets corrupted constantly. In particular, I relocated the user Temp folder, the window's software distribution downloads folder, Internet Explorer's Downloads folder, the Temporary Internet Files folder and the, I guess it is the cache folder for FireFox. I don't really understand why this corrupts nearly every restart. Additionally, sometimes it let's me run chkdsk instantly and other times I get a prompt saying to force unmount or reschedule the disk check. I tried saving a copy of my resume' to this SDHC card and it lists the file size, but when I open the file in wordpad, it's just blank. Also, some folders at the second level just disappear. For example, if I create "WindowsUpdates\downloads" the downloads folder will eventually disappear while the WindowsUpdates will remain.

The filesystem is currently FAT32 and when I used NTFS the occurrences of corruption was even worse.

Any ideas? I never seemed to have such problems when I relocated folders to an HDD, but this is a netbook and an SD card is my only option.

A class 10 SDHC card has a transfer rate of around 10 MB/s, if I remember correctly. Could the slow speed be involved?

Also, using the properties of the device, you may need to make it look like a permanent drive and not removable media. Try comparing the Policies tab options to that of your hard drive and see if anything there might help.

Hi,

I saw a difference between write caching policies. Since my SSD is set to write-enabled, I'll try enabling it as well on the card and see how that goes.

Thanks for help.

Well, it's still corrupting and chkdsk is reporting unrecoverable errors. I'm wondering if I need to flip the removable media bit, aside from that, I'm pretty clueless what else there is I can do (aside from giving up and going back to strictly using the SSD).

This may be early in my latest attempt, but I may have found a viable solution. Instead of flipping the RMB via hardware, I found a driver called, "Hitachi Microdrive," I installed it and the SDHC card instantly shows as a Basic Disk in the Disk Management console and even now has the recycle bin icon on it. I've tested it a little and ran chkdsk on it and so far it's been working fine without corruption (using Fat32).

Last edited:
Update: It's still corrupting! I have also attempted to flip the RMB via a hardware utility, "Lexar Bootit" and for whatever reason, it's unable to flip the RMB. So, I have no idea what else is left that I can do.

It's weird, but now the only corruption I am getting is that the disk loses the MBR and I have to repartition and reformat the SDHC card each and every single time I restart the computer. Annoying. I don't know what specifically is causing the problem.

I haven't asked about this, because I figured you had found some tutorial to move your folders. But where did you get the info to move the folders?

Also, how are you setting up the SD card. You refer to the Micro Drive utility, but a Micro drive is not an SSD. I don't really know if it matters, but it appears something is not playing nice.

And as I mentioned before, the SD card is very slow compared to a hard drive.

I moved the folders in several ways. One thing I did was go in Internet Explorer and change the locations there and I've also used symbolic links. In Management Console, I setup the MBR then partition the entire card and finally format to FAT32. The driver I found claims to be for using on memory cards to present them as hard drives to the operating system. I got the idea from this video: Removable media as fixed disk in Windows using Hitachi Microdrive Filter Driver - YouTube

It's sad this topic isn't getting much attention.

Back