Windows 7 Remember Windows Locations

sirloyne

Banned
I would very much like it if Windows 7 could remember that I want my Windows Explorer window to take up the left side of my screen and my USB drive to take up the right side of the screen, however, Windows 7 keeps wanting to open them both on the same side... sometimes left and sometimes right. If Windows 98 could do it, and Windows 2000 could do it, and Windows ME could do it, and Windows XP could do it, then why can't Windows 7... the OS many, many, many people call the single most wonderful thing since the Big Bang? Also, how do I get Windows 7 from rearranging my desktop icons every time I add a new one? If I wanted to rearrange them I would do it myself. Instead I have to keep putting them back the way I WANT THEM, not Microsoft. Again... if Windows 98 could do it, and Windows 2000 could do it, and Windows ME could do it, and Windows XP could do it, then why can't Windows 7? Just once I would like for someone to tell me why they like this piece of crap. Is it because you LIKE not being able to do what you want on YOUR computer? Do you ENJOY having an OS that will decide how your files will be arranged? Once you get beyond the neat-o shade of blue (a color chose specifically for it's calming effects, I'm sure), it gets pretty easy to see how lazy and sloppy the programmers were. Things like it's too hard to remember 2 sides of the screen, or sorting by A,B,C,D... that's too hard, there's too many letters... I know A-H, that's easier. You can't even change your start-up sound for crying out loud. Is it because of the 64bit? How many people really use more than 4GB of memory? Certainly not the Facebookers... Windows 7's target audience. My most memory intensive program only uses around 650MB. Is it more secure? I couldn't say... I haven't had a virus in more than 10 years with XP... you see, I'm one of the clever ones... I use and understand the importance of a firewall and antivirus. So please... tell me what you can do easier and faster on 7 than XP, because fankly Windows 7 sucks.

ps. I didn't make that link for "antivirus". Microsoft must be selling ad space in their forums.

Last edited:
I can understand your pain. I think Windows 7 is the best Windows this far except for some qualities. I also think Microsoft should have worked with the basics of the OS, instead of working with the money bringing aspects.

My humble view is, all can be done better. But since we're all bound to practical laws, we're very vulnerable. Goes for multinational corporations too like Microsoft and, finally, as a Bible believer, I can say but: we all fail. Not very good, any of us. And Mr. Gates' donations of hundreds of millions of dollars for Unicef and other charity can hardly be considered to be waste, or loss.

The basic problem is thinking. When it's about money... there you have it. Mankind's poverty is the lack in moral and ethics, while we seemingly have strength in power of self and selfish want.

Go figure. :)

Last edited:
Are you using the Winkey+right arrow or left arrow, or any of the other snap to options to set the positions you want. Windows will not remember those. Try just moving the window where you want it, then make it the size you want without triggering the snap to.

Are you using the Winkey+right arrow or left arrow, or any of the other snap to options to set the positions you want. Windows will not remember those. Try just moving the window where you want it, then make it the size you want without triggering the snap to.

I've already turned off the Windows Snap because of this. It's just one more thing thrown into Windows 7 that, while it makes things worse, it looks neat-o doing it.

So no one has an answer? All I want is for my windows explorer to always open on the left half of my screen, and my usb drive to always open on the right half of my screen. Is this really too much for microsofts very, very best OS? I know I've said this before but... if windows 98 could do it and windows 2000 could do it and windows xp can do it then why can't 7 do it? I mean 7 is supposed to be better, right? You know what the funny thing is, (sorry, I meant sad and pathetic), somehow it started working that way, but foolish me I tried changing my folder settings (I know, I know... that's asking an awful lot from the best thing m$ has ever done) because the default "Details" view might not be complete junk if you had 10 items or less on your entire computer, but for my 600 folders it's useless, as is every other viewing option with the exception of "List". While List might create a gigantic side-scrolling mess, at least you can drag and drop without that completely useless blue rectangle that extends all the way to the next folder that makes it almost impossible to not add your new folder to another one. So anyway, I went to folder options and clicked the "Apply to folders" option so all my folders would open it "List" view. Here's the best part, not only did every folder I opened after that still open in Details view, but now I'm back to my windows explorer and thumb drive always opening on the same side... sometimes left, and sometimes right. Now I'm not kidding around here, this OS is the absolutely worst piece of software I've ever seen. This makes Roxio actually look like it was made by someone without brain damage. Nothing works right. It was made 100% for people who do nothing but go to facebook and check email. It's 100% about useless flash. Now I've asked people to tell me what they like about it, and I've never got an answer, well there was that one time someone said they thought media player 12 rocked because it played non-DRM protected mp3's (what?), so if you're one of those people who actually like this cr@p tell me why, because I've yet to find a single good thing about it.

Last edited:
Back