Windows 7 Remote Desktop -> Windows 7

rodsoft

I want to remote desktop to the Windows 7 machine in my workshop so I can play with it . . ..

I get the challenge for login but then "authentication error".

Any one know a resolution?

I has a similar problem. I thought that there are some troubles with my router.

I have not static IP address but I'm using Dynamic DNS feature on my router to resolve the IP address. I'm trying to connect from my office PC and I receive the error message that this computer can't connect to the remote one.

I faced similar problem too. It looks like Remote Desktop remebers the last username you used to login to ANY remote computer. So if you have two computers, say DESKTOP and LAPTOP, both having the user 'user', and you connect to DESKTOP first, remote desktop client remembers login as DESKTOP\user. If later you connect to laptop, remote desktop shows you username 'user', but tries to login as last username user, i.e. DESKTOP\user, and you are getting access denied error. Try to switch user and enter username such as LAPTOP\user. That works for me.

Also, your username has to have a password set. You cannot login to a W7 (or most of the new RDP sessions) box with a user name unless it has a password too.

-Xae

Remote Desktop Not Working in Windows 7

How To Enable. I worked out a fix as to why Windows 7 using Remote Desktop does not work. When you open Remote APP & Desktop Connections it's actually for Remote Assistance. The fix is go to Start and under Search Programs and Files type in mstsc and Bingo there it is run mstsc and there is the Remote Desktop Connections were'll all use to seeing. When in programs and files also before double clicking on it right click and send shortcut to dektop. Also for peace of mind you can uncheck in System/Remote Settings/ Allow connections from other computers and recheck Don't Allow connections from other computers and it all still works as well forget the port number changes.

Remote desktop fails from behind a router in windows 7

HI all
I Have a similar problem. We use OpenVPN, to connect from home to our Work LAN, and after we use remote desktop to connect to the pc's, it happens that all users including me, can connect with remote desktop, with XP and Vista, but when it's from a Windows 7 Machine, users cannot connect at all, my pcs at home are behind a router (including a xp machine ), but the connection trough remote desktop fails for me and all VPN Users that use Windows 7. I have lost track of time searching for an answer, tweaking, activating services, shutingdown pc firewall, antivirus, but nothing seems to work. Remote desktop with the same pc's in work LAN works fine.
Anyone as any ideia where to look for, tweak, change any setting. Really desperate with this. Soory for my english.
Apprecita any help
Thank you all

I want to remote desktop to the Windows 7 machine in my workshop so I can play with it . . ..

I get the challenge for login but then "authentication error".

Any one know a resolution?
If the Windows 7 machine is behind a network adress translation router then you need to make sure that the router has port forwarding enabled and that port 3389 in being passed to the private ip address of the Windows 7 machine. You also need to make sure that the Windows 7 machine is at least pro, enterprise or ultimate, otherwise it cannot host a remote desktop session, and use mstsc (MicroSoft Terminal Services Client) that is type mstsc in the search box or run dialog box. If it's located on the same local area network segment as the machine you are using to remote from, then simply use the private reserved address, do not attempt to go out and back in as some routers seem to balk at doing this.

Remote Desktop Connection Not Working Windows 7

You need to run "mstsc" go to programs then type mstsc press enter. The Remote Dektop Connection application pops up. Now you can type in the Computer Name eg server in user type SERVER\yourusername. Where everybody is going wrong is that they're trying to use RemoteApps and Desktop Connection and it's the wrong one. I found the right application hiding away with everthing else mstsc. In Computer Name you can also use the IP address if you know it.

One other thing I am using from LogMeIn there free version of Hamachi its very good for remote connection. Good Luck, cya from the Techoman.:cool:

Problems with remote desktop passwords

Hi guys looking for a bit of help with this please
i have two computers running windows 7 one is win 7 pro 32bit the other is win 7 ultimate 32 bit i can remote them and see each of them as log in screens but when i enter the password it keeps telling me that is is incorrect
i know the password is correct
i have turned of the firewall on both machines they are both in my home network i can remote to 3 other machines in my network one running XP pro ,vista, and a 2003 server and i can remote to them with no problems from the windows 7 machine its only when i try to remote between two win 7 pc's i encounter the problems
any advive or help would be great

Thanks Goodwinteam

OPENVPN and RDP

HI all
I Have a similar problem. We use OpenVPN, to connect from home to our Work LAN, and after we use remote desktop to connect to the pc's, it happens that all users including me, can connect with remote desktop, with XP and Vista, but when it's from a Windows 7 Machine, users cannot connect at all, my pcs at home are behind a router (including a xp machine ), but the connection trough remote desktop fails for me and all VPN Users that use Windows 7. I have lost track of time searching for an answer, tweaking, activating services, shutingdown pc firewall, antivirus, but nothing seems to work. Remote desktop with the same pc's in work LAN works fine.
Anyone as any ideia where to look for, tweak, change any setting. Really desperate with this. Soory for my english.
Apprecita any help
Thank you all

I had this same problem. It turns out that the "ROUTE ADD" command from the OPENVPN config fails. I worked around this by opening "CMD" with run as administrator, and then issued the "ROUTE ADD" commands.

Back
Top Bottom