Windows 7 removing folder locks possible?

sametch

I am using a program called GDIDB which is not W7 approved, but installs and runs fine.

The program requires projects to be created.

When i create a project, the program creates a folder in the following location:

c:\program files\GDIDB Pro\projects\my new project.

The problem I have is that the folder "my new project" and anything contained within it are completely invisible to windows explorer and to the W7 search facility, its like they don't exist.

Yet if i select "save as" in GDIDB, the folder is there! If I browse up the hierachy the folder has a padlock on it. which I figure is something to do with it!

Is there anyway of making this folder visible so I can easily share project files with my other computers?

I can't imagine a 3rd party program creating a folder with a padlock.

I assumed these were reserved for Windows components only. Does you GDIDB and Program Files directory also have a lock on them?

Have you tried "unhiding" the folder(s) in Windows explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View - "Hidden Files and Folders"

Is it visible, obviously it has to be, but can you access the contents by double-clicking on the folder or do you receive the message C:\Program Files\GDIDB\my new project is not accessible.

Access id denied.

I have already changed the default folder settings to the following:

show hidden files folders and drives = TRUE
hide protected operating system files = FALSE

It simply doesn't appear at all in windows explorer, but it does appear from within the program if I use save as!!

Here is an image showing the folder when viewed with explorer:

gdidb1.jpg

Now here is an image of the same folder viewed from the "save as" dialog within GDIDB

gdidb2.jpg

The "default" fiolder is automatically installed when the program is installed yet this is visible and accessible.

Last edited:
Is it visible, obviously ...

No that is the weird bit it is not visible at all from within explorer but is from within file > "save as". I can even cut and paste to it from within file > "save as".

If I do a search on any of the files in the folder it finds the files, then if I double click them I get a message saying the file is not available!

" have already changed the default folder settings to the following:

show hidden files folders and drives = TRUE
hide protected operating system files = FALSE"

Was this through the command prompt? have you tried the simpler way, as suggested in my post?

I am using a program called GDIDB which is not W7 approved, but installs and runs fine.

When i create a project, the program creates a folder in the following location:

Is there any setting in your program which would allow you to change your save folder location to the documents folder ?

Is there any setting in your program which would allow you to change your save folder location to the documents folder ?

Sadly not, but an interesting thought that made me experiment.

The GDIDB projects folder stores a few things:

The programming scripts that I write.
Change logs.
Error logs.

Here is the interesting thing.

By default GDIDB opens the text error logs using notepad, but GDIDB has a built in text editor for writing the scripts with.

If I run a program with an error and then try to open up the editor using the menu button in GDIDB, notepad tries to open the error log files and then reports a message saying "file not found". But in GDIDB I can change the default editor to open error logs with, if I change it to its own inbuilt text editor, then the error logs open up fine.

It is as if because GDIDB has created this folder, it is the only program allowed to access it!

One interesting thing that may be a workaround though. I tried storing a script outside of the project folder in c:\temp. From this location GDIDB can run the script and execute the program, I can also access the script from c:\temp using windows explorer, BUT all change logs, error logs etc still get stored in the project folder. This may in fact be a workaround, but to be honest this is bugging me now!!!

Sadly not, but an interesting thought that made me experiment.

The GDIDB projects folder stores a few things:

The programming scripts that I write.
Change logs.
Error logs.

Here is the interesting thing.

By default GDIDB opens the text error logs using notepad, but GDIDB has a built in text editor for writing the scripts with.

If I run a program with an error and then try to open up the editor using the menu button in GDIDB, notepad tries to open the error log files and then reports a message saying "file not found". But in GDIDB I can change the default editor to open error logs with, if I change it to its own inbuilt text editor, then the error logs open up fine.

It is as if because GDIDB has created this folder, it is the only program allowed to access it!

One interesting thing that may be a workaround though. I tried storing a script outside of the project folder in c:\temp. From this location GDIDB can run the script and execute the program, I can also access the script from c:\temp using windows explorer, BUT all change logs, error logs etc still get stored in the project folder. This may in fact be a workaround, but to be honest this is bugging me now!!!

so "system" will likely have full control in the security tab ?

and what happens if you go to the folder and right click properties then security tab and edit your user settings to full control ?

this is where the main incompatibility may be for this program in that it isn't setup to work with the newer locked down security settings in windows 7, It may not seem like it but they are meant to protect you from malware\viruses\trojans by limiting access to important system folders, whereas documents folders have far more relaxed settings :)

Gdidb

I am new to this forum. Sorry if I err.

We have used GDIDB for years and love it. We never install it in \program files\. I believe that MS restricts entries here. Move it to another folder and see if the folders & files appear.

I would be interested in hearing what you use GDIDB for as well. E-Mail me privately if this is inappropriate for this forum.

The problem I have is that the folder "my new project" and anything contained within it are completely invisible to windows explorer and to the W7 search facility, its like they don't exist.

Yet if i select "save as" in GDIDB, the folder is there! If I browse up the hierachy the folder has a padlock on it. which I figure is something to do with it!

Is there anyway of making this folder visible so I can easily share project files with my other computers?

It is quite an old thread, so the OP may not respond. Why not PM him. Fair chance he will get it.

Back