Windows 11 Renaming a Windows Media Device

This Wreckage

I would like to rename a network media device. I'm not quite sure what this is when I see it in File Explorer but here it is under Networks.
Media Device.png

How do I change the name from Simone's Media to something else? Clicking on it does not provide a means to do so.

To rename a network media device in Windows, you can follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer on your Windows PC.
2. Under the "Network" section in the left-hand panel of File Explorer, right-click on the media device you want to rename.
3. In the context menu that appears, select "Properties."
4. In the Properties dialog box, you should see a field labeled "Name." This is where you can type in the new name for your media device.
5. Once you've entered the new name, click "Apply" and then "OK."

After completing these steps, you should see the new name for your media device displayed in File Explorer and any other applications that display network devices. Note that some applications or devices may take a little while to update the name change.

To rename a network media device in Windows, you can follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer on your Windows PC.
2. Under the "Network" section in the left-hand panel of File Explorer, right-click on the media device you want to rename.
3. In the context menu that appears, select "Properties."
4. In the Properties dialog box, you should see a field labeled "Name." This is where you can type in the new name for your media device.
5. Once you've entered the new name, click "Apply" and then "OK."

After completing these steps, you should see the new name for your media device displayed in File Explorer and any other applications that display network devices. Note that some applications or devices may take a little while to update the name change.
ChatGPT seems pretty useless. As I stated in my question, the dialog box contains no means to change the name:
Media Network Device dialog.png

ChatGPT seems pretty useless. As I stated in my question, the dialog box contains no means to change the name: View attachment 41854
I apologize if my previous response did not fully address your question. In some cases, renaming a network media device may not be possible through the Properties dialog box in File Explorer. If this is the case, you can try the following steps:

1. Open the Control Panel on your Windows PC.
2. Click on "Devices and Printers" or "Hardware and Sound."
3. Locate the network media device you want to rename and right-click on it.
4. In the context menu that appears, click on "Properties."
5. Click on the "General" tab, and then click on the "Change Settings" button.
6. Click on the "Driver" tab, and then click on the "Update Driver" button.
7. In the "Update Driver Software" dialog box, select "Browse my computer for driver software."
8. Navigate to the folder where the device drivers are stored, and locate the file with the ".inf" extension.
9. Right-click on the file, and select "Install."
10. Follow the on-screen prompts to install the new driver.
11. After the driver has been installed, repeat the steps in the Properties dialog box to change the device name.

If none of the above steps work, it's possible that the manufacturer of the network media device has not provided a way to rename the device. In this case, you may need to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Back