Windows 8 replace Vista with win8

nichosi

Hi,

I have a Compac laptop with 2core processor & runs Vista.

I have a full win 8 64bit cd I used to install 8 on my PC.

All of a sudden, in Vista, IE will not connect to my BBand, it gives a blank screen.

Managed to install Firefox now.

Can I upgrate the laptop from vista to win8?

I think the laptop is 32bit.

If not, do you think MS will let me have free win 8 32bit, on account that I bought a full win8?

Last edited:
RE : Can I upgrate the laptop from vista to win8?
You need to run the Win 8 Upgrade Assistant
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq
Excerpt : If you're running Windows XP or Windows Vista, tap or click Download Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to check if your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 8.

RE : I think the laptop is 32bit.
If not, do you think MS will let me have free win 8 32bit, on account that I bought a full win8?
Answer : no.
Example.......
I have 2 laptops. 1 runs Win 7 64-bit, and 1 ran Vista 32-bit.
I bought a Win 8 Pro upgrade software which consists of a 32-bit disc and a 64-bit disc, but only one product key.
I used it to install Win 8 Pro 32-bit to my Vista laptop.
Now my Win8 Pro 64-bit disc is useless because I don't have a valid product key for it.

Thanx David,

It seems that with 32 & 64 incompatibility is pointless doing anything. .....nick

Thanx,
understood that but, will my w8 pro 64 cd install w8 on my 32bit laptop?

No, you cannot because you do not have a valid win 8 product key.
The Win 8 product key you have is already in use in your PC.

Um, a purchased key is different to a msdn key… he can uninstall the windows 8 from his pc and legally use it on the laptop instead but that assumes the laptop meets the physical system requirements which (to be blunt) is doubtful.

Op; your Vista's ie is out dated and more places will block you as time goes on.

I suggest switching to a Linux build for that laptop because that;

1. Is free,

2. Fully legal,

3. And will keep your bank happy.

I suggest mint for a system with windows FEEL about it but Ubuntu also has terrific support… try them both and then decide.

Last edited:
Thanx,

I did use both in the past but, after Win. I found it unyielding & unfortunately my wife can not manage it at all.

Any way of reinstalling IE, perhaps another version? ............nick

No not one that would run well on an old Vista lappy... IMO Sounds like time to get a new laptop.

Back
Top Bottom