Windows 7 Rescue Disk cannot be created error 0X80070057

Mychal

Extraordinary Member
Hello;
I get this error when trying to create a rescue disk from the Backup and Restore app in Control Panel. I know that the disk can be created using recdisc.exe. That is not the issue. Why not from Control Panel?
Second, is this rescue disk failure possibly related to the deletion of the System Reserved Partition?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I found this kb a few weeks back. It was so off the wall I thought it might work, but no such luck. Thanks for your response.

Are there any entries in the Event Viewer related that happen when you attempt the backup?

If you removed the System Reserved partition, you may no longer have the Recovery information in the BCD store that handles those operations. Two things you could do to confirm or deny the situation is to run the commands below and include the listings in your next post.

Open an Administrative command prompt:

reagent /info
bcdedit /enum all > %userprofile%\Desktop\bcdtext.txt

It appears your recovery options are not registered. The BCD store looks like it has OS loaders for both C: and L: .. are you running two installs of Windows 7?

Those types of indications will sometimes show up when you leave a drive installed after you have copied or cloned it to a new drive.

Yes, 2 installs of Win 7 64 bit and another of XP SP3. The Win 7 installs were separately done. How should I go about registering the recovery options?

You can try using the Reagentc /setreimage command first. Use the Reagentc /setreimage /? command to get examples how it should be done. You can get the path from the BCD text file and the Ramdisk paths.

But with your situation, I am not sure how the system is going to know which install should be used to make a recovery drive.

I see you are also using EaseUS Backup. That may also be effecting your Recovery Options.

I think I will try uninstalling EaseUS Backup first and recheck the creation of the system rescue disk. Unless you advise against this route??

Since I have no experience with the EaseUS backup software, I cannot judge whether removing it will help. I do seem to remember another thread which was using it and had some of the same problems as you. However, that system had also used a couple of other boot modifiers which could have been the actual cause of the problem. Although I do see some extra entries in your system, so you may be the same poster.

Try running the Reagentc command to see if you can register the Recovery Tools on your install. If you want to see what the path is to the Winre.wim file, use the Admin command window and do a dir /a command in the hidden, system folder, C: \Recovery.

To illustrate the problem you seem to be having, in the BCD store, you are showing a GUID number for your RecoverySequence entry. That GUID number is showing a Ramdisk which loads the recovery tools from the L: drive, which it should not do.

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {65b0ddfa-1bee-11e4-9fc9-b4b7151f36a1}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {c9118be8-0f9d-11e4-bca5-d4d3f02c1aa1}
nx OptIn

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {65b0ddfa-1bee-11e4-9fc9-b4b7151f36a1}
device ramdisk=[L:]\Recovery\65b0ddfa-1bee-11e4-9fc9-b4b7151f36a1\Winre.wim,{65b0ddfb-1bee-11e4-9fc9-b4b7151f36a1}
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Recovery Environment
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice ramdisk=[L:]\Recovery\65b0ddfa-1bee-11e4-9fc9-b4b7151f36a1\Winre.wim,{65b0ddfb-1bee-11e4-9fc9-b4b7151f36a1}
systemroot \windows
nx OptIn
winpe Yes

Uninstalling EaseUS made no difference.
The recovery sequence above is {65b0ddfa-1bee-11e4-9fc9-b4b7151f36a1}
I
t should be {5e6bec59-110c-11e4-af57-10bf4879a55f}

I am not sure how to go about changing.
Just fyi, the recovery file winre.wim is located in the recovery folders of both drives {5e6bec59-110c-11e4-af57-10bf4879a55f} and
{65b0ddfa-1bee-11e4-9fc9-b4b7151f36a1}, but the computer does not seems to "see" the first entry.

Assuming the path to the Winre.wim file on the C: partition is as you specify, the command would be:

reagentc /setreimage /path C:\Recovery\{5e6bec59-110c-11e4-af57-10bf4879a55f}

Make sure and put spaces where necessary.

I seem to remember, your other post showed the recovery options setup correctly but the recovery drive would still not create... If I am remembering correctly, this command may not solve your problems either.

The computer the error indicated in the attachment. Does not make sense to me so I deleted the folder C:\Recovery\{5e6bec59-110c-11e4-af57-10bf4879a55f} to a safe location, but when executing the same command line the same error showed up.

Attachments

• 2014-08-12_9-19-56.png
    2014-08-12_9-19-56.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 323
You system seem to have the same problems it did before. You can, if you feel up to it, to change the numbers directly in the BCD store.

It just still seems something is blocking the utility from doing its job. But if you have moved something, I cannot help. Maybe it is about time to start over and reinstall.

I relocated the C:\Recovery\{5e6bec59-110c-11e4-af57-10bf4879a55f} folder with original contents successfully.
Yes, I would like to try and change the numbers in the bcd store directly, but lack the experience to do that. If time permits would you please walk me through the steps.

First, if you are the other poster also, this will do you no good. It might also lead to you having problems with you system. Since I am basically making assumptions about your system, the actual numbers may be different.

But to do this, open an Administrative Command prompt window. This command assumes you are booted into the same configuration as when you took the BCD text listing.

bcdedit /set {current} recoverysequence {5e6bec59-110c-11e4-af57-10bf4879a55f}

If this does not work, again I will suggest you reinstall.

The bcdedit line did not work.
There is no problem with a reinstall or upgrade repair except I have already done that once and everything was fine for a few days then the same parameter error started showing. I am just trying to determine how to stop this type of system corruption. Thanks for your time and efforts.

No .etl log files in C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup ?

Back