Windows 7 Restart Option Stopped Functioning

PKK

Suddenly the Restart option on my PC has stopped functioning. After logging off and shutting down, the PC starts the process of restarting but gets stuck on the welcome screen of the motherboard. I can see the light showing had disk drive activity but no further progress takes place. I have to then forcibly stop the PC by pressing the start button long. After the PC stops, I can start it notmally by pressing the start button again and then it starts normally.

Whether the restart option is used mouse Start/Restart or clicking on the <Restart Now> option after updates, the problem is the same.

I have checked all options in BIOS and Googled it but there has been no solution.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and Intel Core Duo 2.66 GHz CPU.

A couple of things to try.

Do you have a Restore point prior to this happening?

Run sfc /scannow which will repair/replace any corrupt system files. Be aware though if you have any custom themes etc. it will repair/replace those as well.

I went back to 5 restore points but no change. I even tried sfc /scannow and the final message was "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". So the problem continues.

I have noticed that in the restart process, during the logging off and shutdown processes, HDD activity light is on continuously and does not stop even when the welcome screen of the motherboard come on. In normal start, HDD light comes on when Start Button is pressed and stops for some time to show the motherboard screen (to allow access to BIOS if F2 is pressed) and then restarts and goes on to start Windows. In other words, some communication with HDD continues even after the shutdown which results in the motherboard is unable to access boot sector.

Have you considered a repair install? This will repair your Windows 7 system but will leave your User Files and Software Programs in situ.

The bummer being you'll have to do your updates again. Now SP1 is out though, that will be a lot simpler than it was a couple of months ago!

Have you tried going into the bios and selecting not displaying the motherboard screen. Perhaps you could see something going on that is being covered by the splash screen. And if you do that during a restart, does going into the bios or pausing the restart in some way allow for a normal restart?

You might try using msconfig.exe to set up a boot log. Perhaps it will show something.

The difference between a cold start and a restart is partially that the memory is not completely cleared out, and other things are not reset. Perhaps if you have a bad driver, or some software that is not shutting down correctly, one of those is causing problems.

Do you have any software, like and anti-virus which might be scanning your system during boot?

Do you have any external devices plugged in or something in the DVD drive?

Have you considered a repair install? This will repair your Windows 7 system but will leave your User Files and Software Programs in situ.

The bummer being you'll have to do your updates again. Now SP1 is out though, that will be a lot simpler than it was a couple of months ago!

Well, this would be the last resort. However, it is not often that I restart the PC and since I know its behaviour, I know that I have to stop the HDD by pressing the start button - just momentarily pressing it stops the HDD (and PC). then onwards, it is i simple start process.

Initially I also suspected some USB device giving the trouble. But then I realised that the same device should prevent even the normal start, where, as of now, there has never been any hitch. Nevertheless, I disabled boot with USB, boot with removable drives, and bootinf from network using BIOS. This also did not work.

Thanks for the detailed advice.

I have Norton Internet Security 2011, always up-to-date, but it has not reported any boot-related events.

Using msconfig.exe, I started boot log. There is one entry under Administrative Events which gives warning with <wininit> as source and event ID 11. On-line help on event ID does not recognise ID 11 and suggests help from Technet. Technet throws up many options but Event ID 11 has only two possiblities (though not for Windows 7 version on my PC) and deciphers it as "Disk - The driver has detected a controller or cable error.". To take care of this, I opened the box and rechecked the data cable attached to the HDD, both on the Motherboard and the HDD sides and there doesn't seem to be any 'loose' connection. still to be sure, I disconnected and reconnected on both ends. I even tried updating driver for the disk drive using Device Manager. However I get the response that the driver is up to date.

However, the problem still persists.

As mentioned in my response to Elmer's suggestion regarding reinstalling Windows 7 in repair mode, I will use that option as the last resort. It is not often that I restart the PC and since now I know its behaviour, I know that I have to stop the unrecognised HDD activity by pressing the start button - just momentarily pressing it stops the HDD (and PC). Then onwards, it is a simple start process.

I'm all out of ideas for now but I'll keep an eye on here to see if you get the "definitive answer".

As you say though, a work around is better than a kick in the.... :)

Back
Top Bottom