Windows 7 Restarting after improper shut down

randman2011

I left my computer (running 7 RC) on over night because it was downloading and installing SP2 for Office 2007. In the morning the computer was off. I imagine the power went out some time during the night because when I turned on the computer, I get a screen stating that there was an improper shut down and I am asked whether I want to boot in safe mode or not. The only problem is, I get this screen EVERY time I turn on the computer. Then, once I log in, a box pops up telling me it's searching for errors and checking the web. It doesn't find anything and closes, but I continue to be prompted upon start up with the improper shut down screen. Any suggestions?

Do you think it shut down in the middle of the install process?

Try going into Safe mode and system restore to before the installation started.

Or boot the 7 dvd - go to system recovery options and system restore from there.

Well that might be. But last night I found that when I try to shut down the computer, I get a blue screen that says:

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER.

ATI2DVAG.DLL (I can't read fast enough to get the rest)

And I don't have a DVD.

Last edited:
That's your ATI drivers.

You should be able to get into Safe Mode (with Networking) - It will probably offer you an advanced boot screen including Safe Mode automatically when you retart - usually does after an abnormal shutdown. and try a system restore to before the problem started.

If not , see if you can get into Safe Mode by starting the machine and tap F8 repeatedly.

Otherwise, uninstall the drivers .

Then go to ATI site and see if you can d/l and install another set of drivers.

Otherwise you may need to try a different graphics card - or just use the onborad graphics.

Last edited:
Yeah it offers to boot into safe mode. But once i get in, how do I system restore? and what will that do exactly? I mean like will it change everything I've updated, like installed software and iTunes and stuff?

Yeah my graphics card hasn't been supported by ATI since 2003, so the newest drivers don't even work well with XP. I used the compatibility software on the old drivers, and it worked for a while. I don't know about uninstalling the drivers because my onboard graphics aren't supported either.

Last edited:
When you get into Safe Mode - usually a window pops up suggesting system restore.

If not, just type rstrui.exe into the start search box.

Choose apoint when the graphics card was workin OK - a day or two ago - whatever apparopriate restore you have.

Yes you will find anything installed since that point won't be there.

Ultimately - you need a new graphics card.

Mmmm I love my computer. Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on a graphics card? I have a 2003 Dell Dimension 2400 with only PCI slots, no PCIe or AGP. I'm looking in the $100 and under range, because i'm only gonna need this computer for 2 more years, until I go to college.

Back
Top Bottom