Windows 7 Restore cannot find Network Image

ealleman

I am trying to restore my Dell E6510 Windows 7 64-bit Pro. laptop from a image created by Windows backup that is located on a share on a network drive. Using windows explorer, I can view the image folder. I have not renamed or moved the folder. When I run the Windows restore process, restore does not automaticly find the image so I click on the network button, type in the network share and type in the correct user and password. I receive the message
"network share cannot be found. code 0x800704cf"

Any suggesstions on how to connect to the network image would be greatly appreciated.

Are you attempting to perform this operation using a wireless connection? The only reason I ask is that since the backup/restore process can't find the backup automatically, and you don't actually seem to be able to browse to it from within the utility, but are rather typing the UNC path to where you know the backup is, I'm guessing that you do not actually have a network connection, like perhaps for some reason the wireless drivers aren't loading. Just a guess of course but it's either that or there is some third party software present on the network node that is actually hosting the share where your backup is located that is preventing the backup/restore utility from accessing it.

Thanks for the info.

I am using a wired connection. I have also wondered if my network adapter is truly connecting. Is there a way to check if I am connected to the network while trying to do the restore utility?

Thanks

Assuming that you are in the advanced boot options / repair options, you should have a command prompt selection. Select that, then type
netsh interface show interface
this should provide a list of interface names and their associated state/status
once you know the name of the interface (usually "Local Area Connection") you can use the following command to assign static IP address values to that interface
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static {addr} {mask} {gateway}
EXAMPLE 1: set address name="Local Area connection" static 10.0.0.9 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 1
EXAMPLE 2: set address name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp
Of course your static values should reflect those required for your specific network infrastructure.
Then from within the same command prompt make sure you can ping the required network resource host. Or even better see if you can map a network drive to the WindowsImageBackUp folder, just don't use X
EXAMPLE: net use n: \\192.168.1.222\ShareName (whatever the ip address of the machine hosting the backup)
Then close the command prompt and revert to the repair from image option and see if it works now.

EDIT: The last character (1) in the static addressing scheme above reflect the hop count to the default gateway, not sure it's actually required but you should include it just in case (default value should always be "1".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom