Windows 10 Restoring W10 image from Windows Home Server

monahanz

Extraordinary Member
I saved a windows 10 disk image on my Windows Home Server and created a recovery DVD.

Then when I want to check all is well, I found that while the recovery DVD worked fine when I tried to set a path to the WHS disk/file I could not log on to the server from within the recovery program. Asks for username and password. I’m sure I have the correct one for my WHS. It says:-

“A specific logon session does not exist. It may have been terminated”

Error # 0x800705520.

I have no difficulty seeing the server within Windows 10 itself or sending the image file to the server.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Error # 0x800705520.
The 80/ 8080 port is used (or locked)... this is an IIS error and can be caused by any software that tries to reach the internet eg, Skype running in the background

p.s. I would assume the Microsoft id = the username and password (i.e. [email protected] as an example) but thats just because I would setup a backdoor into my home sever to run the task as an admin

Thanks for the fast reply.
Two further questions. I'm confused as to why you say “Microsoft id = the username and password". I assumed I would enter the user name and password of my local WHS itself (Administrator...)
Is there a way to temporally unblock the 8080 port into the server so I can get it to work?

I'm confused as to why you say “Microsoft id = the username and password". I assumed I would enter the user name and password of my local WHS itself (Administrator...)

Because WX (8, 8.1, server12, server12r2 and hyper-v) 'by design' have a Microsoft ID as the default admin account so thats how most people set their servers... yours could in-deed be different.

Is there a way to temporally unblock the 8080 port into the server so I can get it to work?
Turn off whatever program is using the port i.e if it's skype then quit the program by right clicking the task bar icon... you haven't given us any info on your server but just an error code.

Since I'm loading up a windows 10 disk image file (to reconstruct a system) I don't see how there could be an open port on the client. A far as I know Skype is not running/installed on my home server. Is the a way to determine on the WHS what ports are currently open/being used. What info about the WHS would be useful. Its my own home server support a few (Windows 10) desktops -- mainly for nightly backups. Not much more.

I'm loading up a windows 10 disk image file (to reconstruct a system)
So you use the Microsoft backup software*? Is it possible to just load a blank hdd and re-install WX as a fresh boot or is the system too far away to make that an option?
* IME, Yuk!

What info about the WHS would be useful.
IMO The type of server would be a good start... I assume Windows Home Server 2011... or is it perhaps another server that happens to be at your home?

Its my own home server support a few (Windows 10) desktops -- mainly for nightly backups.
Here is were you loss me because I use Acronis for this job but perhaps someone else can step in.

I'm using WHS 2011+SP1. Never any problems, great software BTW, saved my neck a number of times. Have 5 clients here at home!

The good news is I have complete control/access of everything. The bad news is I'm not sure what you suggest I do.
By "re-install WX" do you mean install WHS 2011 on a clean disk. I can do that but it would be a real pain, In fact I think I have to first install WHS 2008 and then the upgrade -- not sure. If the problem is access to the 8080 port is there not a command line to see what ports are open.

On Acronis, in the past I used/relied on that as a secondary backup -- mainly for complete disk re-installs. However recently I got badly burned because it would not re-install windows 10 on a system that went down. In MHO the Acronis team are not what they used to be in terms of customer help -- numerous complaints on the web. My preference now is WHS for nightly backups and W10 disk image for a complete screw-up/disk crash.

The bad news is I'm not sure what you suggest I do.
By "re-install WX" do you mean install WHS 2011 on a clean disk

No... IMO you will have to move away from whs 2011 soon but I'm not pushing for that here.
WX = short hand for Windows 10

At this point, I would (suggest you) install Windows 10 (by hand) onto the client system as that will bypass your network issues. I don't know if your server has major problems or its just that one image is corrupt or it could have just turned the port off as a temp thing to auto-install an update... but the bottom line is it doesn't work now and in the mean time your client is waiting for the WX system.

I'm using WHS 2011+SP1. Never any problems, great software BTW

It's out dated... designed to work with Windows 7 and support for it ends on 12th April i.e. 7 months and two days from now.

If the problem is access to the 8080 port is there not a command line to see what ports are open.
The error code says the port is not open... thats 1, in use by something else or 2. blocked by a firewall of some kind.
There may well be an cmd code for ports but it's w7 vintage and been too long since I've done that sorry.

In MHO the Acronis team are not what they used to be in terms of customer help
I'll take them over Microsoft help any day but thats your choice and more power to you mate.

Back
Top Bottom