Windows 8 Restructuring Cache Metadata

Jim S

Honorable Member
About every 4th or 5th time I Shutdown my Windows 8.1 PC a fairly large error message appears on the screen. The key words are "Restructuring Cache Metadata". Then instead of shutting down, the lock screen reappears and the PC starts up again. Doing another Shutdown at that point almost always does a successful shutdown. Once it required still a third Shutdown. Any idea what is happening or how I can avoid this error?

You don't mention, what type of system this is with respect to Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number, etc., but...
I have been seeing some posts regarding a similar issue on machine described as "hybrids" on which Intel RST (Rapid Start Technology) employs both an SSD (to support rapid start) and a conventional spinner.
This might require a more targeted query on specific support forums for the controller and or drive(s) or the system manufacturer's website. There may be something out there, like a firmware update that might address the problem.
In any event it might be a jumping off point for more in-depth investigation.
Personally I've never seen the issue.... but that isn't much help, so I thought I would mention the above in hopes it might point you in a general direction to proceed.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll contact the manufacturer's tech support people. The computer is a Dell Inspiron One 2350 all-in-one. It was shipped with Windows 8, but I immediately upgraded it to Win 8.1 (with the assistance of Dell's tech support) before setting it up with all my apps and data.

Back