Windows 7 Rethink on Istallation

gjbnh

Like many of you, I findthat clean installations tend to work better. But having tried an upgrade installation, then a clean on, I find that my system was much more stable with the upgrade. On the clean install I have problems installing new programs, shuting down cleanly, random internet slowdowns. These have occured over a period of a week, and repeatably. My advice is to try BOTH and see what works better for you. Remember, this is still "beta" even if it says "RC."

I find it odd that you had better luck with an upgrade than with a clean install.. the problems you describe sound more like one's you would encounter as a result of an upgrade install.. ;) Glad it worked out for you though, it doesn't for many.. :)

It is odd to find a problem with the clean rather than the upgrade. However, I did the upgrade and am very pleased with the performance. I had many driver issues in Vista which are now fixed somehow in the upgrade.

I guess there's a first for everything.. ;) What are you getting for a boot up time after having upgraded? (Boot up time, as in from the second you push the power button until you have a fully functional desktop)..

More info

To clarify, I had bought a new laptop which is more or less ready for Win7 based on posted requirements. I did an upgrade install FIRST. After 5 days I ran into some instability. I then formated and did a clean install basesd on what I read here. The clean install was unstabble from the get go.. I can't post the results of the boot up time for the upgrade install as I did it first. Both installs had excellent boot up times I feel. With the clean install, it hangs 90 % of the timewhen I shut down. I have to try several times to install anything. Overall, this has the feel of an Unbuntu alpha release. I was very excited about Win7 for the first 4 days based on my experience with the Vista upgrade install. Now, I Will wait and see if MS does any real updates that fix these and other problems. I realize this is a RC, but based on what I see right now, I will waitas long as I can to purchase. Right now this unstability feels like Vista part 2.

But like I said, you seem to be one of the only one's having all these problems (with a clean install).. meaning they are NOT a bug in Win 7 but rather something wrong with your computer or a botched install.. :)

Pssible, but

IF it was doing the same thing in BOTH installs, I would tend to agree with you. But since I did not have as many problems with the upgrade install, I tend to think it's not the install disk. IT came from the MS site, and was downloaded with the MS download gadget. This is suppose to be a bullet proof method, using mutiple checks to insure a good download. If someone has the MD5 handy, I can try that against my disk, but I think I'm good here. Thanks for the imput tho.

IF it was doing the same thing in BOTH installs, I would tend to agree with you. But since I did not have as many problems with the upgrade install, I tend to think it's not the install disk. IT came from the MS site, and was downloaded with the MS download gadget. This is suppose to be a bullet proof method, using mutiple checks to insure a good download. If someone has the MD5 handy, I can try that against my disk, but I think I'm good here. Thanks for the imput tho.

That is true.. point taken.. :) I hope we can figure this out for you.. ;)

Hope

I was hoping that Windows Update would be issuing fixes, but I gather that MS in its infinite wisdon will not be issung and fixes of updates to RC 7100. I'm dling 7127 now and will give that a try, IF it takes less than 3 wks to get lol.
Overall, I really like it so far. But not being to install anything to test it's compatibility, and it hardly ever cleanly shutting down is a real downer.:frown:

Back