Windows 7 Reverting to XP Issues

Meltbrain

So yeah I installed the Win7 beta, was going fine initially, then weird things started to happen. Had some hellish issues with my Creative sound drivers, but I managed to overcome them (mostly). Anyway, things went from bad to worse when Win7 kept crashing during startup (on the screen with the winlogo), for seemingly no reason. Restoring to a previous point didn't work, lastgood didn't work and the Win7 repair feature failed pretty miserably, too.

Anyway, cut to about an hour later. I've installed WinXP no problem, but I have a major issue. My secondary HDD (a 300GB SATA drive containing all of my music and videos etc) is giving me major grief. I can access the drive itself but the folder on the drive which contains everything gives me an "Access denied" error. This is surely because of the crazy user security in Win7 that made me "claim ownership" of the drive and change all of the permissions it would seem.

So, my question is: is there a) a way to easily get access back straight through XP without too much fuss, or b) through Win7 can I change the permissions so that anyone from any Windows OS can access this drive without any trouble?

Tips would be much appreciated, :)
Cheers,
Josh.

i had this problem before. i dont remmeber how exactly i fixed it. but i do rmember this went away after i started using my 2nd hard drive as my main and then switched back. (i was too lazy to re install my broken windows on my 1st one :p).

Thanks for the tip dude, but I think I need a bit more advice and info before I try anything, I really don't want to have to install an OS on my second drive and stuff cause that's too much hassle.

Man can anyone offer me some more advice anytime soon? I really want to get XP back up and running and I can't live without that 250gb of my stuff.

29 views and 1 reply... gonna be here for some time I think. *sigh*.

Last edited:
You need to "take ownership" of the folder that you are locked out of. right click the folder, then "sharing and security", then security tab.
PS you will need to turn off "simple file sharing" first.

You need to "take ownership" of the folder that you are locked out of. right click the folder, then "sharing and security", then security tab.
PS you will need to turn off "simple file sharing" first.

Is this in XP yeah?
Because taking ownership in Win7 is useless, that's the problem. In Win7 I can access the folder just fine, because I took ownership of it in Win7 after being told that it was owned by someone else (me again, just it was being used on XP before). So now, the files are all completely fine and accesssible through Win7 and access is denied in XP.

If that tip is for XP I will definitely give it a shot. Thanks, guy.

Let me guess.. you didn't bother backing up all those "can't live without" files on the 250GB drive did ya..? That is something that I feel can't be stressed enough people (and I know I'm not alone), BACK UP YOUR FILES!!! or DON"T USE BETA SOFTWARE!! Also if your not that familiar with installing OS's in general than I'd suggest not doing it yourself, or at least research how to do it and what precautions to take BEFORE doing it.. ;) You'll end up with far less problems if you take the time to research such things first... :)

Let me guess.. you didn't bother backing up all those "can't live without" files on the 250GB drive did ya..? That is something that I feel can't be stressed enough people (and I know I'm not alone), BACK UP YOUR FILES!!! or DON"T USE BETA SOFTWARE!! Also if your not that familiar with installing OS's in general than I'd suggest not doing it yourself, or at least research how to do it and what precautions to take BEFORE doing it.. ;) You'll end up with far less problems if you take the time to research such things first... :)

No, I didn't mate, I don't have an external HDD to throw all my stuff on and to clarify 250gb is not the size of the drive, it's the amount of media I have on that drive, so that is a whole mess of DVDs right there, and yeah I don't have time to burn a million dvds. In hindsight I should have partitioned my C drive and put Win7 on a new partition though, that was definitely silly of me to run Win7 as the main OS, but in fairness it was fine to begin with... the whole crashing on startup deal came out of the blue.

yes - back in XP - you will need to go through the above routine

rod
Thanks for your tip rodsoft, but I actually managed to solve it even before I put XP back on, I went into the permissions for the folder on the drive (not the drive itself) and only my user was in the list, so I manually added "users" and "administrator" to that list and hey presto - full access via XP. Cheers for the tip though, I shall remember that for future endeavours. :)

@ Meltbrain

I agree that 250GB's is alot of DVD's to burn BUT if you made backups consistantly, as is recommended, it wouldn't be near as much of a "hassle"... ;)

@ Meltbrain

I agree that 250GB's is alot of DVD's to burn BUT if you made backups consistantly, as is recommended, it wouldn't be near as much of a "hassle"... ;)
Yeah I suppose you're right. Oh well, everything is sorted now! So cheers for your help guys. :)

Back