Windows 10 Right clicking on the taskbar not showing recently used documents

deathwinger

Honorable Member
Hey All,

Glad these forums exist. I'm sure Windows 10 is going great for everyone and positive there are solutions to any problems I'm having.

Right now I'm having an issue with right clicking in the Taskbar. Normally in Windows 7 and 8.1, I could right click on an icon and get a list of options such as unpin, run and a list of documents recently opened with the program. I usually used this to get to my documents quickly.

However, it appears in windows 10 that right clicking on these programs does nothing. When I click on other things on the taskbar (like cortana search or notification bar) I get a menu and list of things, so I know the right click menu is working.

I'd like to get my options back on my programs in the Taskbar. Has anyone found a way to get them back? It would be most appreciated.

Some applications may vary how and where they store the MRU (most recently used) file info. For example Wordpad maintains it's internal list in the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\WordPad\Recent File List, this only applies to the recent files when you open Wordpad. A seperate taskbar pinned icon list is maintained in a database type file you can't really manually edit. It is located in C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Roaming\Recent\Automatic Destinations\<GUID>.automaticDestinations-ms. The easiest method for adding your recent documents etc is to simply open them all up. That should add them to the pinned icons right-click menus.

Back