Windows XP Running XP and ok with it but have a conflict with Brother L2700 printer

Hi

I recently bought a Brother MFC L2700DW printer & my main computer is a desktop & is running XP Sp3 and two laptops are running Win7.

The two laptops can print & scan wirelessly from the MFC but the XP machine whilst it can print from the MFC it cannot scan and I get the error message that says BrCtrlCntr.exe has encountered a problem & needs to close, let me say that the scanner does wake up when I click the scan button on the XP & makes a sound as if scanning and a box appears showing what % of scan is done but it always stays at 0% and then we get the error message. I had some help from Brother & have re-installed & done all the usual things but in the end they felt it was an XP conflict & they didn't really support XP anymore.

I can get by with scanning from the 2 laptops it would be much better if my XP machine could use the scanner of the MFC. I am very happy with XP and because of various legacy software I do not want to change. Any help would be much appreciated

Best regards, The Home Office Analyst

The xp desktop is not a member of the w7 homegroup and doesn't have permission to store the scanned image any where.

You could run an old 2003 server or a vmware store but thats out of date software and ime more trouble than its worth so a router with usb stick would be what I'd do... see this old thread for more details. Insider Preview - Home Group between Win 8, win 10 and Win 7

Thanks for trying to help & I tried a USB stick into the back of my router but it didn't make any difference. There were 2 USB ports & I tried them both. The XP Desktop is the main computer & was set up for the MFC before the laptops so the MFC software had no knowledge of Win7 and was behaving in the same way, so unless I've missed something I don't think that's the answer. The XP definitely 'wakes' the MFC & attempts to Scan & goes through all the motions but does not actually create the file (which of course does in some way correspond with what you said about not being able to Save the file). Anyway I have attached an error report if that is any help.

Attachments

• Error report.txt
    114.4 KB · Views: 664
Thanks for trying to help & I tried a USB stick into the back of my router but it didn't make any difference. There were 2 USB ports & I tried them both. The XP Desktop is the main computer & was set up for the MFC before the laptops so the MFC software had no knowledge of Win7 and was behaving in the same way, so unless I've missed something I don't think that's the answer. The XP definitely 'wakes' the MFC & attempts to Scan & goes through all the motions but does not actually create the file (which of course does in some way correspond with what you said about not being able to Save the file). Anyway I have attached an error report if that is any help.

By the way I can scan using the Windows Scanner wizard but that only saves the file as a jpg and I want to save (via Brother Software) as a PDF.

In that case use a 3rd party scan program that works on XP... Coral Draw perhaps?

Back